January 16, 2017

[REVIEW] the Star Touched Queen

title: the Star Touched Queen (the Star-Touched Queen #1)
author: Roshani Chokshi
genre: young adult, fantasy
publish: April 26, 2016 by St. Martin's Griffin
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
rating: 4 / 5 stars
goodreads
Fate and fortune. Power and passion. What does it take to be the queen of a kingdom when you’re only seventeen? 
Maya is cursed. With a horoscope that promises a marriage of death and destruction, she has earned only the scorn and fear of her father’s kingdom. Content to follow more scholarly pursuits, her whole world is torn apart when her father, the Raja, arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions. Soon Maya becomes the queen of Akaran and wife of Amar. Neither roles are what she expected: As Akaran’s queen, she finds her voice and power. As Amar’s wife, she finds something else entirely: Compassion. Protection. Desire… 
But Akaran has its own secrets—thousands of locked doors, gardens of glass, and a tree that bears memories instead of fruit. Soon, Maya suspects her life is in danger. Yet who, besides her husband, can she trust? With the fate of the human and Otherworldly realms hanging in the balance, Maya must unravel an ancient mystery that spans reincarnated lives to save those she loves the most…including herself. 
A lush and vivid story that is steeped in Indian folklore and mythology, The Star-Touched Queen is a novel that no reader will soon forget.
Roshani Chokshi's writing is spellbinding!

Ever since I first saw the Star-Touched Queen I made it a mental note to have a copy of it because: (1) OMG LOOK AT THE BEAUTIFUL COVER!!, (2) Indian Folklore! I remember dealing with the Ramayana and Mahabharata in school but other than that, nada! but still, whenever I find a new-to-me kind of thing, I had to have it!, and (3) early reviews be like: OMG THIS IS SO AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL!, MUST READ, blahblahblah. you know how easy I am.

"My kingdom needs a queen," he said. "It needs someone with fury in her heart and shadows in her smile. It needs someone restless and clever. It needs you." -p68

When I read the first chapters of the Star-Touched Queen, I was immediately captivated by Roshani's writing. Seriously people. I tabbed so many pages just because of the words! GAH!

Honestly though, I was not immediately caught up in the world. But this is basically my fault. I'm not the biggest fantasy reader and have ZERO sense of imagination. I suck at visualizing worlds and remember terms. Why I still read fantasy is beyond me. lol. After a few more chapters, I was able to get into the story. What I mean by a few chapters is when Amar took Maya away and brought her to a kingdom far beyond Bharata.

Setting aside my zero sense of imagination, the Star-Touched Queen still intrigued me. There were voices that speak to Maya. She got married and moved with Amar to Akaran. But the walls give her an unusual feeling and I'm like: ummm dark powers lurking in the kingdom? Then half way through we meet this girl who claims to be a close friend of Maya in another life. And things just started getting confusing for Maya when this girl tells her all sorts of things about Akaran and Amar.

"Doesn't death make room for life? Autumn trees die to make room for new shoots. And destruction is part of that cycle. After all, a devastating forest fire lets the ground start anew." -p135

Because you know, we need some conflict here right? I mean the blurb made it sound so grand like there'll be a huge war happening right about now. But then the root of the problem really comes from the romance side of the story. And now you can all complain: ugh, seriously? But then I'll tell you: seriously. BUT DON'T LEAVE ME JUST YET!! The romance is too sweet and swoon-y to pass. really.

I honestly did not expect myself to actually like and ship Maya and Amar. Romance isn't my strong side and many times I hate it when the romance swallows up the story. But as I read the Star-Touched Queen, I find Amar completely swoon-worthy! and surely we can blame Roshani for that! I like how slowly Maya and Amar's relationship developed. There was doubt in Maya in the beginning but she accepted Amar because there's nothing else she could do -- there's following and marrying Amar and there's dying in her kingdom.

I stopped him. "I will not let us be beings of regret. I know my past. What I want is my future. -p333

Maya is a heroine I immediately liked -- she's strong, she doesn't push herself to people, the world is against her, she's brave. Yet, of course, when faced with great decisions Maya makes mistakes. don't we all? not all the time, of course. DUH! She faces everything with bravery despite their difficultly. Her adventure at the second part of the book really shows how she faced the world when she has nothing.

Also, there's Kamala, the sassy horse!! I mean she likes eating people or souls or something... eh.. but she's so nice and funny and full of wisdom (?). I LOVE HER! And there's Gauri who'll have her tale on the next book, A Crown of Wishes!! -- eeeppp!! I'm super excited for that!!

OVERALL, the Star-Touched Queen is a beautiful novel of love and trusting the strength within you. It has a swoon-worthy romance, a strong heroine, a sassy horse, a great adventure, and, of course, beautiful enthralling writing!!

let's connect!

14 comments:

  1. I am determined that I'll get to this one eventually! I've heard SO many good things about it and I'm hoping to meet the author next weekend! You make it sound fantastic! Great review :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get around it soon, the writing is just so beautiful! I hope you had a great time meeting Roshani. I really want to meet her too! Also, thanks, Tracy :)

      Delete
  2. Loving the new look, I of course haven't seen it in forever, because I am a bad blogger follower. But I like. The Star Touched Queen has gotten pretty good reviews. I should probably bother to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jazmen. The clean layout basically just works for me :D
      YES, the good reviews really just attracted me (and also got lucky to win a copy from a giveaway). I hope you read and love it too! :D

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this yet, but I really ant to! I actually love romance in books, so I think I'll love it. I've heard that the writing hinders on purple prose though. Did you think so? Great review czai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh yes, I guess you can say it like that. There were sooooo many beautiful words describing things around the world and the events but it really worked for me. I guess if you're not so much into flowery writing, you might not end up loving it as much as I did. Thanks, Genni :)

      Delete
  4. Roshani is such a beautiful writer. I ended up giving this one three stars because of the lack of plot. Still not sure anything really happened beside the romance, but it's was so beautifully written. I'm actually really looking forward to the follow-up novel, which sounds like it will have much more action. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it's just the romance. I realized that it's just going to be romance when part 2 started. but YES, the writing is so beautiful. I'm also highly looking forward to ACOW especially when I realized that it's going to be about Gauri :D Thanks, Alicia!

      Delete
  5. This book sounds like something that I would really enjoy. I am glad that you enjoyed it. Maya sounds like a great character. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is! I LOVE that she's not one to really ask for attention or whine. Thanks, Carole! I hope you do get to read and enjoy this :D

      Delete
  6. Great review! I'll have to read this one soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren. I hope you get to read it soon and love it as much as I did :D

      Delete
  7. I don't get caught up in the big hyped books and fantasy also isn't my favourite, so this isn't on my tbr--yet. I'm always attracted to premises that show imagination, but I also have trouble with fantasy and keeping up with everything. Glad this ended up being a great read for you in the end! I can't deny the cover is stunning and I've certainly never read about Indian mythology, so that intrigues me. Hope you enjoy the sequel if continue the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book hypes are the death of my wallet (lol). I'm not a big fantasy reader as well but I still ended up enjoying this despite the lack of plot and thrill. The romance and writing really worked for me. Thanks, Rebecca. I'm really looking forward to the follow-up novel :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...