May 27, 2017

[WEEKEND READS] where I finally have the time to deal with my TBR

i'm legit reading this now. lol.
Hello,

I mentioned on my last roundup post that I'm graduating. And I have. I graduated university not with honors though because of that one subject (ohwell, what's done is done). With that said, thanks to everyone who congratulated me. I haven't had the mood to actually write a casual post like this. I've done a few reviews though, I hope you guys have read those 😊.

ANYWAY, it's been three weeks since I graduated and I finally have a job. It's not the most exciting work though and it's, admittedly, not related to my major BUT I'll just get some experience and run off somewhere only if things don't work out for me though. I'm working in a bookstore by the way (which is of course the most amazing thing) but it's minimum wage so obviously I'm not happy with that but I'll work on a few things and probably get a more appropriate job next time.

recent reads

Little Girl Lost (DI Robyn Carter #1) | Carol Wyer
This is another fantastic Bookouture release! It was a bit confusing at first but it pushed me to really get into the bottom of things. I was intrigued all throughout. DI Carter feels like Detective Erika Foster who I really love. You can check out my review here.

King's Cage (Red Queen #3) | Victoria Aveyard
I actually didn't expect anything for this book because: (1) Glass Sword was weak. really weak. didn't like it much. i think it was slow and boring and i didn't care about the new bloods (although their abilities were pretty cool though); and (2) I've read disappointed reviews on this (or at least that's what I can remember right now). But my non-existing expectations aside, this book still didn't work for me. I thought I'd like it though because I'm #teamMaven all the way but this book was just meh and makes me want to throw it out of my window 90% of the time. I'll try to have a comprehensive review for this. I hope. For now, you can enjoy my quick review on goodreads.

Violet Grenade | Victoria Scott
This was more of an okay read for me. I thought it was intriguing and the characters were well explored (minus Madam Karina, I guess) especially the main character. You can read my full review here.

current reads
it's crazy but i'm currently reading 4 books at the moment.

Secrets of the Dead (DI Robyn Carter #2) | Carol Wyer
I'm like 20% in and I'm really absorbed into this mystery. I'm really amazed at crime fiction writers and their ability to create murder mysteries that are difficult to figure out. ANYWAY, Secrets of the Dead opened with a man found dead inside a sauna booth. He's body fried from the heat and while DI Carter's colleague, DI Shearer, closed the case as a heart attack inside a sauna booth with no foul play, DI Carter received a statement that tells a different story.

Sleeping Giants (Themis Files #1) | Sylvain Neuvel
FINALLY! FINALLY! I'm around 3 or 4 chapters in and I'm intrigued. I hate myself for holding it off, honestly, but that's how suck-ish my mood is. I'm reading it right now though and loving it. But reading multiple books means it'll take me a while to finish this.

A Man Called Ove | Fredrik Backman; Henning Koch (translator)
I started this while I was reading King's Cage because I was bored with it. I draw a prompt from our tbr-book picker (or something) and I got contemporary. I ended up choosing this book because I wasn't in the mood for anything YA then. I read the first chapter and LOVED IT. It was hilarious. I'm still in the 4th chapter though. I'm taking my sweet time because this book is that read you want to pick up when you're bored or drained out. at least for me though. On a side note, this review by Joy @ Joyous Reads really convinced me to read this!

Gone Girl | Gillian Flynn
I've had this on my tbr for so long now. A year or two, I think? ANYWAY, I finally picked this book up because: (1) I need a mass market to bring wherever I go because the first two physical books I'm reading feels big (A Man Called Ove isn't so much heavy but mass market is lighter ya know); and (2) I let the tbr-book picker decide again and it told me to pick a book with black cover -- i'm actually enjoying this tbr-book picker prompts actually. I'll share this with you guys soon 😁


next reads

Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1) | Neal Shusterman
I know I've been putting this book here over and over but I was in a slump then. Now I'll surely read this once I'm done with one or two of my physical books. I'm not stalling this, I promise, because Neal Shusterman is my fave author of all time!

Roam | Erik Therme
I've read Erik Therme's first two books, Mortom and Resthaven. I liked both but I didn't enjoy the latter as much as the first one either way, he contacted me to review his latest book, Roam. With how much I enjoyed Mortom, I can't say no to him when he's offering his book for review.


anime marathon

Ace of Diamond | Madhouse x Production I.G.
I'm re-watching this anime (for the 3rd or 4th time) because why not? This is one of my fave even though it's over 100 episodes (75 episodes for S1 and 50 episodes for S2)!! I'm almost on the Koshien Arc. I'm excited for that!! The first few matches aren't that excited as far as I can remember but still really good. I highly recommend this series if you want to watch a sports anime. This is really, really good without all the fanservice (but you can always ship them all you want if that's your thing. there's actually a lot of ships here).

Glasslip | P.A. Works
I just had this on my currently watching for so long and I'm like: why not finish this? I'm half way through now and it's bad. just bad. ya know why? because: (1) flat characters except for Yuki and Yana, I guess; (2) wth happened with the seeing-the-future plot?; (3) ohgosh that romance particularly Touko and Kakeru's because Kakeru is just a sh!t character and Touko is an indecisive chick who can't say she likes Kakeru -- their romance is the worst part of this anime tbh. The good sides though: (1) Yana x Yuki is good -- I like them and their development and how stubborn they are; (2) the art is topnotch -- P.A. Works at their best.



HOW ABOUT YOU
What books did you recently finish? What are you currently reading? What do you plan to pick up next? Any new faves?

Are you watching anime? What are you currently watching this season?


let's connect!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man. I hope you'll enjoy A Man Called Ove! I adore that man. It's a very touching story about friendship between two unlikely people; grief and suicide. Watch the film! They perfectly captured all of Ove's sublime quirks.

    Sleeping Giants! Seriously. I'm a little surprised you haven't read it yet. That book is slathered in awesome sauce!

    Happy reading, czai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held off A Man Called Ove but I'll get back to it as soon as I finish Sleeping Giants because it's crazy amazing and intriguing and I read it every chance I get. I'm just a couple of chapters away! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...