June 29, 2022

Hello!! Here's an Update and Maybe I'm Back

old photo
Hi,

I just wanted to post an update. again. We're halfway thru the year.

I also kind of want to get back to blogging slowly :) Even though I've been reading slower than usual, I usually think about how I'll be reviewing books once I finish them. So one of these days, I want to sit down and actually try and write my thoughts on books I recently read.

Little life update, I got a new laptop because my last one finally broke down after eight years. I went back to the office three months ago and went to a work travel in between that as well (see my personal instagram if you're interested 😊). I'm still on a terrible reading slump which is kind of a carryover from last year which I also mentioned on my post early this year. We're halfway through the year and somehow I don't want to panic over not reading enough books but, yes, I'm also kind of panicking. lol. I'll just like to see how my mood will get better and get back to reading like before.

On another life update, as much as I'd like to keep up with my usual photos, we're in between moving houses and trying to build a new one. So I can't take photos like before but I'd really like to see how I can get around this and create new style of photos. Also, if you haven't done so, feel free to follow me on my bookstragam account @czai_ which I'm slowly getting back into posting on (even though it's mostly just old photos I took, lol).

I just want this to be a post for my bookish updates then I'll see where this takes me. I have a separate book haul posts because it's been six months and I'm clearly buying more than I'm reading. Reading-wise, I've only finished seven books so far this year. lol. But let's still talk about that!

2022 reads so far

A Crown of Wishes (The Star-Touched Queen, #2) | Roshani Chokshi
ohgosh, it's been a while.. I liked this but it's not something memorable for me. I do think it's better than its companion novel, The Star-Touched Queen. I enjoyed the dynamics of the two main characters although, if I recall correctly, I still had my gripes on their relationship. All in all, it's still a fun ride, I believe. Definitely worth it if you've read Chokshi's first novel. And if you haven't, it's still a pretty good read.

Double Indemnity | James M. Cain
Probably one of my faves so far this year (but then I've only read six so far. lol. It's an absolutely great crime fiction. It's one of those books wherein you somehow have an idea as to where things are going and you're just in the ride to know how things get there. Double Indemnity follows an insurance company guy who plans the perfect murder of one of his clients with the help of the said client's wife. A completely intriguing and unputdownable read from start to finish.

Roxy | Neal Shusterman & Jarrod Shusterman
I didn't like this as much as I'd hope but it's still a good read. I'd still read everything Neal Shusterman writes, that's for sure. Roxy is basically a novel about two teenagers' descent to drug addiction or dependency. Basic story but the Shusterman, father and son, added the twist of adding the points of view of the drugs themselves which makes it kind of interesting.

In Five Years | Rebecca Serle
Probably my fave so far this year. I was kind of deceived with how this was marketed or maybe it was my lack of reading thru reviews. But either way, I was surprised with this novel in such a good way. I LOVE how it's got a bit of romance, a lot of truly understanding yourself, and a massive lot of friendship.

In Light of Paris | Eleanor Brown
Unfortunately, I can't remember what's with this book. So here's my thoughts from goodreads, the writing wasn't for me but the story is quite interesting. There's so many descriptions. I liked it more towards the ending and there were points where I felt for Madeleine. Deals with a mixture of family pressure and pursuing what you truly love.

Beach Read | Emily Henry
I enjoyed this. I thought it was absolutely adorable and I love the literary/author couple aspect of the story. However, I was kind of a bit disappointed just because of the hype. I can't pinpoint exactly what went wrong for me but I'd like to believe that the hype just got into me. Gave it four stars anyway and I'm still really excited to read Emily Henry's other books.

Isn't It Bromantic? | Lyssa Kay Adams
I absolutely LOVE the Bromance Book Club boys and I immensely enjoyed Vlad throughout the books. So I was really excited when this was announced. And somehow I'm a bit disappointed. It's still a good book, in general. There are points that I enjoyed but mostly, I didn't care about Vlad and Elena's relationship. Or maybe I didn't care enough for Elena.

currently reading

All Her Little Secrets | Wanda M. Morris
I can't even remember when I started this. It's a mystery. The main character is a black woman. She's a lawyer and she's also having an affair with her somewhat boss. He tells her to see him early that day and next thing she sees is him dead in his office in what appears to be a suicide. In which a police ruled a homicide later on. Intriguing but not enough to capture me. I read this on and off. It's intriguing but not something I'm always excited to get back to. It seems to deal with racism.

Ender's Game | Orson Scott Card
This isn't for me. My best friend pushed me to read this. He bought a brand new copy just to lend it to me. And unfortunately, I'm not having fun. There were interesting parts but as a whole, my brain just isn't accepting the genius kids part of the book which is actually a whole lot of it.


HOW ABOUT YOU
What books did you recently finish? What are you currently reading? Any new faves? Any recommendations? What do you think of these books? How was your week?

let's connect!
 

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I did read the reviews before I read In Five Years. I loved it! I cried my eyes out, but still loved it. You were not alone with being a bit disappointed with Vlad's book. Like you said, it's not a bad book, but I think we just had higher hopes for Vlad's romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved Beach Read. I have her other books that I need to read. I have never read Double Indemnity, but I have seen the movie! I hope your reading slump ends soon and you can find some awesome books!

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I randomly click on your blog every few weeks and SURPRISE there was a new post! lol

    I just reviewed Roxy and I haven't read Beach Read but I've liked her other books. And I need to catch up with The Bromance Book Club.

    I feel your pain with the reading. I've read about 25 books this year, which is awful for me, and I take foreverrrrrr to read them - vs one a day.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...