February 9, 2020

JANUARY WRAPUP (aka the still-finding-my-way-out-of-this-slump month)


Hi,

2020 started wild for everybody! January was so scary that it felt so long with the tragedies happening all over the world including mine (the Philippines) and with the end of the month nCov-scare going around (keep safe everyone!). The baseball world has also been wild in January with the cheating scandal going full swing concluding the month with the firing of three (3) MLB managers (and yes, the scandal continues to February. it's wild).

Reading-wise, it has been for me. I won't say I'm don't with my horrible 2019 reading and blogging slump but I'm doing it little by little. I'm trying to go through short books and slowly get to longer ones. I'm going to try out rereading this February as well and see how things work out for me.


books read


The Mist by Stephen King | Mission 27 by Mark Feinsand & Bryan Hoch | Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng | See How They Run by Tom Bale

quick thoughts right here with their respective Popsugar prompts👇
The Mist (book published in the 20th century) - loved the movie and loved the book. I think the writing is soooo good. I am so into these short Stephen King books. I don't get it why I can't finish his longer ones. please send help!
Mission 27 (book by or about a journalist) - I follow both Mark Feinsand and Bryan Hoch at Twitter. Really great Yankees beat writers. I never got into baseball during the 2009 season but this book kind of put me there and made me see the struggles, the issues, and the personalities of the players and the team which ultimately made this such a great read. really wish the 2019 Yankees (my first season) won the World Series because their story would be a great book as well.
Everything I Never Told you (book by a WOC) - I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK. Probably a top 10 fave book of 2020 candidate. The writing is sooooo good and how the events unfold and see how it came to that for all the characters involve is just sooooo good.
See How They Run (book featuring one of the seven deadly sins) - I'd say anger and greed are featured in here. This was a carry over from 2019 and I finally finished this! It was kind of a dragging read. It was a 2.0-2.5 stars for me.

*I have drafted out reviews for all of these! so that's going to be exciting!

*   *   *

books hauled


A Woman is No Man by Etaf Rum | The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty | The Paris Wife by Paula McLain | The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

I got both A Woman is No Man and The Yellow Wallpaper at kindle deals. While The Last Anniversary and The Paris Wife at a secondhand bookstore. All are good deals. I'm staying true to my goal but then by February I might be buying new books. I'm eyeing a graphic novel/comic based on the fantasy world the Bronte siblings created: Glass Town


HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS,
How was the last couple of months for you guys? Anything you want to share? New hobby, projects, travel, books? How was your reading month? Anything new to your faves?

let's connect!

6 comments:

  1. I know why you can't finish the longer King novels, because they are M A S S I V E! But, it's wonderful that he has these short stories that you enjoy. Nice haul. I love Moriarty and really enjoyed The Last Anniversary. I hope all your new books are hits for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are MASSIVE and it's driving me crazy! Imagine a back story for every single thing!? hahaha. I plan to grad a few more of his short books and hopefully get through with these huge ones I have little by little. So great to know you enjoyed The Last Anniversary!
      Thanks so much, Samantha! :)

      Delete
  2. Reading wise my January was terrible because I DNFied 3 books! That has never happened to me before, so let's hope February will be better in that regard. And keep safe yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoa, 3 books feels a lot. I hope February is better for you, Lucia!

      Delete
  3. Hi, czai! Really nice to see that you're still blogging! I quit ages ago, and when I recently visited the PH blogs I used to follow, they were either already deleted or inactive. Kudos to your blog! ^__^

    Anyway, I get what you mean about January being sooooooo long. It seemed like everything that could go wrong this year already happened last month. Ugh!

    And hey, having reading slumps is okay, but I'm glad that you're slowly getting back to reading (and blogging). Nothing like an amazing book (or two) to get you out of that slump, yeah? ;)

    - @_julietearjerky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've noticed that. I thought of stopping back then as well but then, I wanted a place where I can dump all the books I read or acquired per month. Thus the monthly wrap up being the only consistent thing here. At this point, I don't mind if no one reads, I just post just because I want to keep up with my books and my thoughts :)

      True! Thank the starts January is done but all of these horrible things are still upon us. Keep safe, Julie! And thanks :) 2019 was a tough year as a whole but glad that was done.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...