August 6, 2021

10 Books I'm Too Scared To Read But Should Really Get to RIGHT NOW


Hi,

It's only been two-ish weeks since I posted my TBR (lmao) and I read one book from that stack and got through two more books (which I'll be talking about on my wrap up soon). SO here we are with another monthly TBR which I honestly picked at random and feels and mood (?). idk.

Basically these are just books I thought I've been holding off for whatever reasons. SO I guess I've been too scared to pick them up and this is the time I push myself to finally get around some of these (hopefully half of these). ALSO, I'm joining #reveresereadathon tomorrow-ish depending on where you live or when you see this. It's a readathon hosted by the Dewey's Readathon team. I'll post a recap of that on Sunday I guess (which I hope is a success for me unlike my personal 24hr readathons. lmao).


Dune (Dune #1) by Frank Herbert
This is probably the third time I'm adding this to my TBR and yeah, it's my third time trying it out. I don't wanna give up. Maybe third time's the charm? lmao. I'm buddy reading this with my best friend so hopefully I get into it this time.
The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
I bought this because I think that I've been seeing this (?) so I'm just like, why not? Also got this from a secondhand bookshop so I bought it for like $2 which feels like a steal. Also, I just checked and it's getting a sequel (?) next year.
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
I've been wanting to reread this since I read this probably ten years ago. So when my best friend invited me to reread this, I thought why not? We both like this classic and deep diving into it now that we're both older than when we first read it feels really good.
Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami
Another buddy read reread I'm doing with my best friend. This is kind of the book that really got us together like three years ago (going four years now). He lent this to me, I read it, liked it. Then we started talking more about books and life and such. Sputnik Sweetheart holds a special place in my heart and I've been hoping to reread it as well especially since I did get myself my own copy since reading it.
The Quiet Ones by Glenn Diaz
I bought this because it's one of those mystery/thrillers that's kind of popular in my place when I work in my local bookshop years ago. It's also locally published!! So with its popularity then and my low track record in reading locally published books, I ended up really being scared of picking this up.


What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
I've read three books by Liane Moriarty so far and I absolutely enjoyed two of them and one being generally okay for me. Compared to the last one I read, The Last Anniversary, I've read more fantastic things about this. So hopefully this is a win.
Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow
I've put this off waaaay longer than I thought. I was quite excited to read this when the mental health books became a thing but I left this on my shelf when my sister showed interest in it since she has a history of cutting/hurting herself and I'm not sure, to be honest, but I fear that maybe this book could trigger stuff but idk. It's why I haven't really picked it up. BUT yeah, she's been better these last couple of years.
Into the Water by Paula Hawkins
I got this because I liked Girl on the Train back then (?). Then I read reviews what people think about this and they weren't good believe. A lot of people showed disappointments regarding the multiple POVs which also makes me nervous but also, I know zero things about this at this point since I've never cared about it. And now, I kind of want to clear out some old books I've had.
The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
I was hyped. That's it. I got this the moment it came out since I absolutely LOVED The Nightingale. SO I'm quite scared that I might not like this as much and it's also been YEARS since I read that. So I don't know how I feel about Kristin Hannah right now.
Illuminae (the Illuminae Files #1) by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Started this last year (?) but stopped because I wasn't feeling it. I probably through a hundred pages then but the format just isn't working for me (?) or the characters aren't really in it for me. But I still hope to get through this just to get through TBR books. Also with the stuff about Jay Kristoff (?) idk if I'll even pick up the next book (but then, it does feel that this isn't even for me, tbh). ALSO, can I admit that this is a complete cover buy THEN hype buy because LOOK AT THAT COVER! lmao.


HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS,
What makes you scared of reading a book? Is it the hype? The size/thickness/page count? What gets you to finally pick them up? Which of these books should I get to first (aside from my buddy read books, of course)?

let's connect!

1 comment:

  1. Illuminae didn't work for me, but I have several friends that loved it.

    Hype is a huge deterrent for me these days. I'm also an avoider of big books lol

    Really, I just haven't been in the mood to read for over a year now but it's slowly coming back to me and I'm just reading whatever sound interesting and it's mostly been my older neglected books.


    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...