March 5, 2020

BOOKS FROM THE BACKLOG #2


Hi,

Books from the Backlog is a weekly feature hosted by Carole @ Carole's Random Life in Books. I'm doing double features every other week: one physical book and one ebook. I'm picking my physical books through my TBR jar. For my ebooks, I'll just pick whichever catches my attention.

title: The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall
author: Anne Brontë
genre: fiction, classic
published: October 31, 1996 by BBC Books (first published 1848)
format: paperback, TV tie-in edition, 378 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
As the new tenants of Wildfell Hall, beautiful, reclusive Helen Graham and her young son find themselves the objects of gossip and scandal. 
Gilbert Markham has formed a deep attachment to Helen. He does everything in his power to staunch the rumours that she is an immoral woman with a past she needs to conceal; but he himself does not know the truth. 
Gradually coming to trust Gilbert, Helen reveals her past life to him: a miserable marriage in which she was tormented by her adulterous, drunken husband, Huntingdon, who mocked her religion and tried to corrupt their child. But despite her bid for independence, Helen is still in Huntingdon's power, and only death can end her terror. 
A novel of surprising modernity, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall shocked Anne Brontë's contemporaries in its outspoken treatment of the issue of women's equality and it is unforgettable for its passionate sincerity and psychological honesty. 
Includes full-colour photographs from the BBC dramatization.
why did I buy this. I bought this just because I want to read all of the Brontë novels because I loved Wuthering Heights. I got this from a secondhand bookstore when I went to the province during my thesis a few years back. I got this and a couple of books by Charlotte Brontë.
why is it still in my tbr. I'm scared of classics. That's just it. I don't think I've read one since I read Pride and Prejudice in 2018, I think.


title: The Rise of the Dawnstar (The Avalonia Chronicles #2)
author: Farah Oomerbhoy
genre: young adult, fantasy
published: April 24th 2017 by Wise Ink Creative Publishing
format: eGalley
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
goodreads
Aurora Firedrake returns in the spellbinding sequel to The Last of the Firedrakes. 
The seven kingdoms of Avalonia are crumbling and evil is spreading across the land like a plague. Queen Morgana is close to finding a way to open The Book of Abraxas and it’s only a matter of time until she uses the power trapped inside its pages to enslave the entire world. 
With Avalonia growing more dangerous by the day, Aurora must travel through war-torn lands and deep into the heart of the fae kingdom of Elfi. Her goal is to find a legendary weapon infused with the last of the realm’s ancient magic—the only weapon in the world powerful enough to stop the queen. 
Aurora might have survived her first battle against Morgana, but the true fight to save her kingdom and restore her throne has only just begun…
why did I get this. I got this when I signed up for a Book Tour BUT life got me and ended up not participating at all. I have read and reviewed the first book though (got it through a giveaway).
why is it still in my tbr. I haven't felt interested to pick it up. That's just it.


HOW ABOUT YOU
Have you read these books? What do you think of them? Should I put them at the top of my tbr?


let's connect!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, if you loved Wuthering Heights, why not give Tenant a go? OR, you can watch the adaptation, right? I have quite a few series I have started and not continued. The initial books were good, but like you, I just was not compelled to pick up the next book. So, I get that. The more time that passes, the less likely I am to continue, as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few more Bronte books here at home and Tenant is definitely one of those I'm reading. Just looking for the right mood :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh! Both of these books sound interesting, especially Rise of the Dawnstar!

    Here’s my Books from the Backlog!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rise of the Dawnstar's series is generally okay. I enjoyed reading the first book but I won't recommend it.

      Delete
  3. I have to admit that I am kind of scared of classics. The Rise of the Dawnstar is new to me but I have a lot of books that I received for review that have been neglected in my pile. I hope you enjoy both of these, Czai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I'm still really scared of classics. Thanks, Carole :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...