January 5, 2019

2019 Reading Goals


Hi,

In 2018, I failed all of my personal reading challenges. So this time around, I decided to lessen my challenge, retain some of them, and pick out 2 new challenges based on the books I usually read and the books I read in 2018.

I will be doing a monthly check-in for this just so I KNOW I'm actually doing them unlike before. In 2018 I set goals and ended up forgetting them mid-way or so. But this time, I'll do my best to actively blog and post updates so that I can have my goals accounted for especially my reading challenges.

I also added a book buying challenge. Instead of doing a monthly book buying ban, this one seems better. It's a testing for this year but I hope it works out well :)


Read 52 Books
Check out my Goodreads Reading Challenge for this :)

Read 20 Books Own in 2017 or Earlier
My Beat the Backlist Reading Challenge is obviously part of this challenge. However, this challenge is about the books I acquired in 2017. My goal here is to get through books I own years and year ago. So some of the books on Beat the Backlist will not be counted towards this challenge.


Read 20 YA
I read less YA last year? Roughly I read 15 YA out of 55 books I read in 2018 (I counted Never, Never as one book). This year, I want get back to YA and I think that this number is pretty doable since YAs are quick reads especially contemporary YA novels.

Read 10 Science Fiction / Fantasy Books
I LOVE scifi but I noticed that I didn't read much scifi last year? I think I was into thriller and contemporaries last year. So this 2019, I'm bringing back my love for scifi and try to get into fantasy as well. I have too much YA scifi/fantasy on my shelf.

Read 5 'Big Books' (500+ Pages Books)
This is a challenge I had last year and decided to keep for 2019. I'm really positive about this since I'm also going to try and participate in Emily Fox @ BookswithEmilyFox's (upcoming?) book club on reading big books. This January we're reading The Passage by Justine Cronin which I already have (which is why I decided to join this month).


Read 5 Classics
I also kept this challenge from last year because I miserably failed this one and I still desperately want to get into classics. I lessened this from 12 to 5 though just so we can be realistic. lol.

Read 5 Stephen King Books
Another challenge from 2018. I only read 1 Stephen King book last year which was The Long Walk and it ended up on my fave list. So this year, I went to get that challenge back up and get through more Stephen King novels. I still have A LOT on my shelf right now including, of course, It which I held off in 2017.



Book Buying Challenge
I remember Victoria @ Latte Night Reviews was doing this challenge for herself before. or at least something like this. So I decided to try it as well for 2019. In my 2018 Year in Books post, I showed you guys the number of books I acquired and read throughout the year.

This year, I'd like to get my reads up and my spendings down.

So here's the deal, for every three (3) books I finish, I'll buy one (1) book. It doesn't matter if it was a physical book, an ebook, an audiobook, or a book I borrowed as long as I finish a book. The length of the book won't matter as well.

in other words,
read 3 books = buy 1 book

I'm putting an early exceptions for this though because DUH let's be real!
I'm excepting my spendings on my birthday week (which will probably be 3-5 books and my #MIBF2019 haul (which will probably be around 10 or more books).

Quite a stretch, I know but I'm still positive that I'll get to my goal by doing this challenge.



Here are some more challenges I'm doing this year :)

Beat the Backlist Reading Challenge
This one is one of the things I'd like to accomplish this year, get through books sitting on my shelf. Beat the Backlist is basically books that were published in 2018 or earlier. So this is fairly easier compared to my personal challenge (or reading books owned in 2017 or earlier). But they do come hand in hand.
Check out my tentative TBR for the challenge here!

Pop Sugar Reading Challenge
This is the first time I'm actually trying out this challenge. I found some challenge easy. Others, I have no idea what to read but we have the entire year to think about them. I'm excited to see what books I'll find and read for the challenges here :)


HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS, 
What are your reading goals for 2019? Do we have any similarities? Do you have any recommendations for me for some of these challenges? Are you also doing Beat the Backlist or Pop Sugar this year?

let's connect!

12 comments:

  1. I should probably do the Beat the Backlist Reading Challenge as well, since it's essential my main reading goal for the year as it is! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your goals are very similar to mine! I so need to read the physical books I own that I've had for AGES! I ought to check out the Pop Sugar reading challenge!!

    Uma@Books.Bags.Burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot seems to have problems with backlist books. lol. The challenges for the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge have some that are quite difficult (for me at least) but I like how it will probably help me widen my horizon :)

      Delete
  3. I also have read books that I own for one of my goals, I've been terrible about purchasing more and more. I'm going to visit Emily's channel, the big books challenge sounds interesting. I would also like to read more Stephen King in 2019 as well. I saw a blogger hosting a Stephen King challenge, read one of his book a month. Good luck with all your goals and Happy 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so difficult to get into books that's been sitting my shelf for years since my interest in them kind of lessened already? as compared to the books I recently bought? But, Good Luck to us both! I'd like to take my Stephen King challenge slow for now since many of his books are lengthy. But hopefully someday I can join that challenge :)

      Delete
  4. Good luck with all of your challenges! I am only doing a couple of them this year and will see how it goes. I do need to read more Stephen King and hope to focus on reading books that I already own a lot more this year as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole! Wishing you the best of luck with all of your reading goals as well! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm really bad at challenges so I only do the goodreads one and set it lower and increase as I go.

    I did want to tackle my TBR last year and finally did after 2 years of saying I would. So this year is to just relax about reading.

    Good luck with all your 2019 goals!
    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. I usually set challenges then forget them as the years go. Although I had a pretty chill reading year last year (since I didn't do my challenges) so this is the year I'll deal with my tbr.
      Thank you, Karen!

      Delete
  6. The first sentence made me crack up laughing. I also did not have a great year of reading. In past years I read 250 books and this year it was 75. I didn't find as many amazing books as I hoped.
    I love your read 3 books > buy one book. I need to do that with my closet - get rid of ten things before I can buy anything...
    Here is hoping we have a better 2019 of reading!
    Jen Ryland Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably say that to myself every year. lol.
      It's kind of a test run this year since book buying bans aren't even helping that much. hahaha. Thank the stars my closet is well managed. Although recently I've been buying clothes whenever I find something I like.
      Happy reading, Jen!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...