January 14, 2021

BOOKS FROM THE BACKLOG #19


Hi,

Books from the Backlog is a weekly feature hosted by Carole @ Carole's Random Life in Books.

title:
 Murder at the Book Group (Hazel Rose Book Group Mystery #1)
author: Maggie King
genre: adult, cozy mystery
published: December 30th 2014 by Pocket Books
my copy: paperback, 400 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
For fans of Anne Canadeo comes a fun and sassy cozy mystery in which one woman must solve the murder of a book group member and untangle a web of secrets hidden by her bookish cohorts.
Hazel Rose never dreamed that the murder mystery book group she and her friend Carlene started would stage a "real "murder.
Nevertheless, on the night when the normally composed Carlene seems unusually angry and rattled, during group discussion she dies after drinking cyanide-spiked tea. Despite a suicide note, Hazel is skeptical; Carlene never seemed suicidal--why else would she make all those plans for her future? Incidentally, Carlene was married to Hazel's ex-husband, and Hazel has always suspected there might be something more to her past than she let on.
How much does anyone really know about Carlene Arness? And did she die by her own hand or someone else's? Hazel begins a search for the truth that produces no shortage of motives, as she unearths a past that Carlene took great pains to hide. And most of those motives belong to the members of her very own book group...
Featuring memorable characters and a wicked sense of humor, "Murder at the Book Group" shows the darker side of a book club where reading isn't about pleasure--it's about payback.
why did I get this. that title. that's it. that title basically screams: will mention books & cozy mystery!
why is it still in my tbr. upon buying this from the secondhand bookshop, I checked goodreads wand saw its sad 2.85-star rating.  


HOW ABOUT YOU
Have you read these books? What do you think of this book? Should I put this at the top of my tbr?

let's connect!

10 comments:

  1. I need to hope on this cozy mystery wagon. They seem to be worthwhile reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of them are. My first one, Meet Your Bake, is a fun series. It's got a bit of romance, good setting, and food! :)

      Delete
  2. I love that the title was all you needed, and I have to admit that the title pulls to me too. I do like a good cosy mystery and I hope it will be better than the average goodreads rating and surprise you ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catchy titles works I guess. hahaha. I really hope that's the case.

      Delete
  3. I do the same thing sometimes. I buy a book and then later see that a lot of my friends didn't like it. You should give it a try, maybe it will surprise you! It is a great title though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with not checking while buying. But yeah, the surprise is also pretty okay sometimes.

      Delete
  4. I'm so picky getting books now but I love a good title.

    I've never heard of this one to push you in either direction lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I started getting a bit picky with the books I buy in the past couple of years. Somewhat helped me lessen my hauls.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...