June 23, 2018

[WEEKEND READS] where I finished 4 books in 1 week

currently reading
Hello,

This week was a crazy reading week for me. I haven't posted a blog post in a while but I got so absorbed in reading that I don't want to break this sudden craze I found myself into. I've actually finished 7 books this month and it feels amazing 😲

For my job hunting update, I was contacted by one of the companies I applied and was interviewed for. I submitted requirements and I'm currently waiting for their follow up on when I'll actually start. Despite this though, I'll still be applying to other companies because what if they just brush me off or something? LIKE. JUST. WHAT. IF? I suck at all these what-if situations... I panic easily... but yeah, I'll be applying to other companies and see where I land.

recent reads

The Vegetarian
 | Han Kang; Deborah Smith (translator)
I've been adding this to my to-read almost every month and I am so glad that I finally read it. It felt a bit complicated at first but as I read through, I started seeing through the story and I loved it. I'll have a review up soon! I really need to read more of these kinds of reads. I should pick up her other book, Human Acts, soon!

The Red Umbrella | Christina Diaz Gonzales; Kyla Garcia (narrator)
I got an audiobook of The Red Umbrella from last year's AUDIOFILE SYNC progam. I started listening to this last year and it wasn't exactly working for me until I went back to it recently and fell in love with the story. I've been thinking about why it didn't work out before and I think that it was the slow narration. I sped up my audiobook and I started getting through more interesting parts of the story. And I ended up loving it!

I Found You | Lisa Jewell
I started this one a week ago and I'm glad that I finally got around to finishing it. This is an intriguing mystery thriller. It follows Alice who found a man outside her place who lost his memories, and Lily whose husband is missing. It generally reads like the usual mystery thriller. I'll have a mini-review up one of these days.

Platinum End, vol. 5  | Tsugumi Ohba (author); Takeshi Obata (illustrator)
I can't seem to stop reading this series even though I have to admit that it isn't even that good. I keep comparing it to the duo's previous works and it really just can't match up to those which partly disappoints me but I still have high hopes for this series. ICYMI, this duo is the one responsible for the hit manga and anime of the same title, Death Note.


current reads

Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns #1) | Kendare Blake
I've been considering this book for such a long time. One of my co-workers was pushing this to me then but I'm like: meh! maybe next time. But my bestfriend lend me a copy when I told him I just finished my current read. So why not, yeah? I've gotten through 60% of the book maybe... and so far it's an okay read. The premise is certainly interesting but there's so many characters and I'm still overwhelmed. At this point, I'll probably give it a 3-star but who knows what the twists may hold for me?

The Body Reader (Detective Jude Fontaine #1) | Anne Frasier
I've gone through the first chapter and I'm sure this will be the ebook I'll read next! The writing felt a bit dark and I'm curious of this detective. I'm getting back to crime fiction now, yay! It's been a while to be honest. So I'm quite psyched for this!


next reads

Deposed | David Barbaree
I requested this book late May and it finally arrived yesterday. Shipping is crazy slow but OMG FINALLY! This is a historical fiction set in 1st Century Rome. Just. How. Awesome. Is. That? I'll read this ASAP then have my review up as soon as I can 😆

The Missing Ones (Detective Lottie Parker #1) | Patricia Gibney
More crime fiction right here! I mean while I'm the mood for it why not seize the moment, yeah? I checked my June TBR and saw this so I decided to pick this up next.


HOW ABOUT YOU
What books did you recently finish? What are you currently reading? What do you plan to pick up next? Any new faves? Any recommendations?


let's connect!

6 comments:

  1. I still need to get around to reading Three Dark Crowns. I've heard nothing but good things about it. I hope you enjoy the books you're currently reading and planning on reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually read mixed things about it but I was still so intrigued. I finished it last night. Hopefully I can write a review at some point. Thanks, Abby! :D

      Delete
  2. well if you are on the roll thats great :D I hope your job situation evens out soon and it won't be as stressful :( I totally understands about What Ifs, sending you best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are looking up recently. Thanks so much, Lily!

      Delete
  3. Three Dark Crowns ended up as a two-star read for me, so I felt really meh about it. Always awkward to not like books your friend's recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking about giving it a 2.5 or a 3... a bit conflicted but most likely 2.5.. It was quite awkward when I told him that I didn't like it.. he told me he expect it though since I didn't fangirl about it as much as the other books he recommended. we're all good :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...