October 1, 2018

SEPTEMBER WRAPUP (aka the month of #mibf2018)

books read + currently reading
Hi,

I have no idea if anyone is still reading my blog because I only do wrap-ups recently.

September was a very hectic month for me at work. There was so much stress mentally and I was not enjoying the company of my co-workers as much as my previous work place. They poke fun of my awkwardness, natural silence, and inability to make a decent conversation with them (because we absolutely have NOTHING in common). There are other things I'd love to rant about work but that will be annoying and already rant them all out to my best friend and my sister. So somehow I'm all good.

ANYWAY, I went to the 39th Manila International Book Fair for two days. I went on Friday, September 14, with my best friend. We went straight to Fully Booked which was fun with the two of us actually looking through classics together to grab new Wuthering Heights editions to add to our collections THEN going on separate ways as he looks through scifi books and thrillers while I go through generally everywhere, from YA to adult fiction to manga THEN meeting up later to pay for the said books together. We had late lunch and he ordered cakes because he knows I like them 😊

I also went on Sunday with my college buddy/best friend. I went on another round on Fully Booked and bought a few more books I've been delaying on getting like Slaughterhouse Five, Smaller and Smaller Circles, etc. My college buddy bought leadership and self-help books. Not my thing but we're all good πŸ˜‰

Aside from book buying, it was also nice chatting real quick with my ex-coworkers from the main branch. One of them told me he only knew I resigned because he called the branch I was in and was looking for me πŸ˜… My other ex-coworker didn't immediately recognize me. I was looking at him, then waved at him, he waved back, then recognition came. Then we quickly talk from there. It was partly funny, tbh. When he saw me again on Sunday, he'd playfully go about assisting me blahblahblah. Also PSA, talk to your local booksellers. They're the best people to chat about books or stuff in general! (I was one of them, so I know πŸ˜‰)

Finally, last Friday I dropped by the bookstore to grab my book reservations. I wasn't expecting to meet my best friend that night  (because he just got home from the bookstore and it's already evening/after work hours) but I was also sulking and being super dramatic so he ended up surprising me. We saw each other, had a quick coffee, I ranted a bit, and we looked through books. He told me that he saw this not so new book, The Glass Town Game and when I saw the plot, I was instantly psyched because it's about the BrontΓ«s and we're both super into Wuthering Heights which is super weird and amazing. lol. (can't we just be together already? lol.)

Well that's one lengthy update. I generally just want to talk about my book best friend (aka the guy I now admittedly I really, really like) and our love for books. So, sorry about that.


books read


Dear Martin by Nic Stone

I read Dear Martin as a part of #contemporaryathon which I terribly failed, as usual, but that's okay πŸ˜… This was an okay read. Given that if the events in this book are for real which I think are actually happening, I'd say that it's an important book. I feel that I struggled and felt a bit irritated in the beginning because I'm not aware of things like this and part of my brain screams: that's probably exaggeration and there's also a part of my brain that says: oh gosh, that's horrible!. It's an okay read for me, the romance felt a bit forceful to me. 

books hauled


Wuthering Heights (Pan Macmillan Collector's Edition) by Emily BrontΓ« | The Night is Darkening Around Me by Emily BrontΓ« | Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut | Lord of the Flies by William Golding | The Long Walk by Stephen King/Richard Bachman | Smaller and Smaller Circles by F.H. Batacan | Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson | The Quiet Ones by Glenn Diaz | Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3) by J.K. Rowling | Wonder by R.J. Palacio | Perfect Blue: Complete Metamorphosis by Yoshikazu Takeuchi, Nathan A. Collins (translator) | Wuthering Heights (Knickerbocker Edition) by Emily BrontΓ« | Lethal White (Cormoran Strike #4) by Robert Galbraith | Mythology: Timesless Tales of Gods and Heroes (75th Anniversary Illustrated Edition) by Edith Hamilton, Jim Tierney (illustrator) | Pierce Brown's Red Rising: Sons of Ares by Pierce Brown, Rik Hoskin, Eli Powell (illustration) | Everwild (Skinjacker #2) by Neal Shusterman (not in photo)

These are all books I bought from #MIBF2018 (except for 2) which is an annual book fair where the country's leading bookstores and local publishers sell books at a discounted price. I bought all of these from Fully Booked (which is my fave bookstore; also the bookstore I used to work at) except for The Quiet Ones which I bought from its publisher, Ateneo de Manila University Press. Sons of Ares and Lethal White were both bought last weekend. Everwild, on the other hand was an impulse buy because it's a Neal Shusterman book. SO I hauled a total of 16 books this past month πŸ˜…

October to-be-read

I'll be posting a separate post for this one since I'm participating in #BYOBthon read-a-thon which is a month-long read-a-thon with a whole lot of challenges to choose from. Aside from BYOBathon, my upcoming TBR post might also include #ebookathon and Dewey's 24hr #readathon TBR. This is going to be a massive read-a-thon month for me. Here's to hoping for that much needed reading times πŸ˜…


HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS, 
How was your September? Anything you want to share? New hobby, projects, travel, books, school life?
How was your month in reading? Anything you added to your faves? Anything you can recommend to me? Are you participating on these read-a-thon? 

let's connect!

3 comments:

  1. Ha - I feel you. I struggle to post even twice a week. But I was excited to see your name pop up in my comments and am glad you are still hanging in there with the blogging!
    Jen Ryland Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these photos! That's quite a haul. I hope you've been enjoying your October.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Hope you been well! I'm logging onto my blog after a year lol, we used to keep in touch on each others blogs, and I use instagram as my blog now. I'd love for us to keep in touch on there! The link is below.

    My blog used to be www.beenazai.blogspot.com previously Feminist Reflections :)


    x Benish @ IG@BumbleBeeHolic

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...