April 4, 2020

MARCH WRAPUP (aka the month of social distancing)


Hi,

It seems that 2020 just gets wilder and wilder as each month come.

I wouldn't say I'm bored at home because I've been reading A LOT as you can see in this wrap up but WHOA I miss the outside world! I miss sports! I miss hockey. I miss baseball. I miss going to the mall. I miss going to the bookstore. I miss walking outside. I miss buying snacks.

I just miss the normal everyday life I always complain about!


books read


The Memory Police by Yōko Ogawa | UnBound by Neal Shusterman | The Night is Darkening Round Me by Emily Brontë | Red Rising: Sons of Ares (Sons of Ares #1-6) by Pierce Brown (author), Rik Hoskin (co-author), Eli Powell (illustrator) | Red Rising: Sons of Ares, Vol. 2: Wrath (Sons of Ares #7-12) by Pierce Brown (author), Rik Hoskin (co-author), Eli Powell (illustrator) | Love & Gelato (Love & Gelato #1) by Jenna Evans Welch | Be Not Far from Me by Mindy McGinnis | First & Then by Emma Mills | The Huntress by Kate Quinn | The Conspiracy of Us (The Conspiracy of Us #1) by Maggie Hall

quick thoughts right here with their respective Popsugar prompts (if any) 👇
The Memory Police - interesting story. love the progressions but the ending kind of put me off? idk.
UnBound (book by an author who has written more than 20 books) - LOVE every short story in this book. I LOVE how it shaped a few more characters, how it filled in the gaps, and how it added more to the ending for generally everyone.
The Night is Darkening Around Me (book with more than 20 letters in its title) - not a poetry person. some, I appreciated. some. I just still want to think more about.
Red Rising: Sons of Ares - still loved it! and I still love the concept of this story and how it shaped Ares (and how somehow similar his story is to some of the characters in the Red Rising).
Red Rising: Sons of Ares, Vol. 2: Wrath - I think the art regressed? (or maybe that's just me). I like how it really bridged the gap between the first graphic novel and somehow closer to where Red Rising started. It's a wrapped for me but I wouldn't mind a 3rd graphic novel tbh.
Love & Gelato (book with an upside-down image on the cover) - the first audiobook I tried from Scribd and I LOVE it! I cannot believe I tried to stay away from this just because I'm not big on contemporary romace! Love the characters, love the development of Lina, and I LOVE the writing! I'm listening to book 2 right now!!
Be Not Far From Me (book published in 2020) - LOVED THIS! idk if I'm gonna put it on my faves but it's close enough. I thought it was going to be a typical YA but it wasn't and I LOVE how it was just like that. It's about survival in the woods and I LOVE how emotional the narrator is at times and how descriptive the writing is. Made me tear up a bit (or maybe cry full on) in the end.
First & Then - ohwow, I somehow can't remember much of this right now? and it's only been a week or so? idk. it was okay. nothing special about it. will try to recall more then maybe write a quick review. maybe. no promises.
The Huntress - THIS. IS. SO. GOOD! There were a couple of times when I got bored but as a whole, this book is a must read! I was so intrigued and the story is quite new to me. somewhat informative. and I LOVE the characters!
The Conspiracy of Us - this one beats First & Then for my worst book of the month because this flat out annoyed me. It was cringe-y and I literally roll my eyes almost every chapter. Will try to write a nice review for this. I. will. try. TRY.

oh gosh that's a lot. not used to that. lol.
Also, I got through some audiobooks because of the Scribd 30-days free read. I'm trying to make the most of it then maybe consider subscribing. BUT I do still kind of feel that it's too costy. $8.99 per month? Will it be worth it?

*   *   *

books hauled


Red Rising: Sons of Ares, Vol. 2: Wrath (Sons of Ares #7-12) by Pierce Brown (author), Rik Hoskin (co-author), Eli Powell (illustrator) | Hopeless (Hopeless #1) by Colleen Hoover | Too Late by Colleen Hoover | Nine Elms (Kate Marshall #1) by Robert Bryndza | The Overdue Life of Amy Byler by Kelly Harms

After I stress bought books last month, I decided that I won't get anything this month. 2 Weeks into the month, Thursday, and my Sons of Ares, vol 2 arrived and my local bookstore contacted me. I got it on the last day I actually went to work (it's a funny story because I was actually thinking of passing up but ended up getting it which was good because I didn't went to the office the next day and work was suspended the next Monday until mid-April now). The rest of the books are kindle ebooks. Colleen Hoover put some of her books for free for a while. Then Nine Elms and The Overdue Life of Amy Byler are books I've been eyeing and I got them from Kindle Deals for $0.99 each.


HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS,
How was the last couple of months for you guys? Anything you want to share? New hobby, projects, travel, books? How was your reading month? Anything new to your faves?

let's connect!

6 comments:

  1. The one thing I normally did, that I am not doing right now, is going to work, and I don't miss it. I do miss my co-workers, and have been happy to email/message with them to catch up. Other than that, it's business as usual for me. I was always at work, and had no time to enjoy anything much. Wasn't Love & Gelato wonderful? I adored the followup too, and am looking forward to the third book this summer (hopefully). Mills' books always leave me warm and fuzzy and happy. I recently read First & Then, and was such a fan of the romance, friendships, and relationship between Devon and her cousin. The book left me smiling, as all MIlls' books do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally just miss going out to be honest and walking out without people questioning my purpose of going out.
      LOVED Love & Gelato! I'm getting through the second book right now through audio. Will definitely get book 3 once it comes out :) I wasn't a big fan of First & Then but I did love the relationship between Devon and her cousin. Although I am still really interested to try Emma Mill's other books :)

      Delete
  2. I'm totally the opposite. I don't miss any of those things (I am lucky that I do get to go outside and walk with no people around) but I can't read at all :-(

    I'm glad you had such a productive reading month! Pass some of that my way lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally understandable if you prefer the isolation life. I love it as well but in my place, we're totally not allowed to leave for anything unnecessary. So we go out only for grocery runs. I'm sorry about the reading slump. Sucks when you can't read when you finally have the chance to do so :(

      Delete
  3. I still need to finish Be Not Far From Me! I started it awhile back but put it down when life got too weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get back and finish it soon. It's my first Mind McGinnis and I really liked it :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...