April 30, 2020

BOOKS FROM THE BACKLOG #3


Hi,

Books from the Backlog is a weekly feature hosted by Carole @ Carole's Random Life in Books. I'm doing double features every other week: one physical book and one ebook.

title: A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles #1)
author: Amanda Bouchet
genre: adult, fantasy
published: August 2, 2016 by Sourcebooks Casablanca
my copy: mass market paperback, 442 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
KINGDOMS WILL RISE AND FALL FOR HER...
BUT NOT IF SHE CAN HELP IT 
Catalia "Cat" Fisa lives disguised as a soothsayer in a traveling circus. She is perfectly content avoiding the danger and destiny the Gods-and her homicidal mother-have saddled her with. That is, until Griffin, an ambitious warlord from the magic-deprived south, fixes her with his steely gaze and upsets her illusion of safety forever. 
Griffin knows Cat is the Kingmaker, the woman who divines the truth through lies. He wants her as a powerful weapon for his newly conquered realm-until he realizes he wants her for much more than her magic. Cat fights him at every turn, but Griffin's fairness, loyalty, and smoldering advances make him increasingly hard to resist and leave her wondering if life really does have to be short, and lived alone.
why did I get this. I got this when I was still working at the bookstore and they were giving out excess copies. I grabbed this from the pile just because I was seeing it around book blogs during that time. I have zero clue what this is about actually.
why is it still in my tbr. Just because it's fantasy. That alone scares me to read this.


title: The Christie Curse (A Book Collector Mystery #1)
author: Victoria Abbott
genre: adult, cozy mystery
published: March 5, 2013 by Berkley
format: Kindle, 304 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
goodreads
In 1926, Agatha Christie disappeared—making headlines across the world—only to show up eleven days later at a spa under an assumed name. During those eleven days, did she have time to write a play? 
Jordan Bingham needs a new job and a new place to live. She’s back in Harrison Falls, New York, living with her not so law-abiding uncles, in debt thanks to a credit card–stealing ex and pending grad school loans. 
Enter the perfect job, a research position that includes room and board, which will allow her to spend her days hunting down rare mysteries for an avid book collector. There’s just one problem: her employer, Vera Van Alst—the most hated citizen of Harrison Falls. 
Jordan’s first assignment is to track down a rumored Agatha Christie play. It seems easy enough, but Jordan soon finds out that her predecessor was killed while looking for it, and there is still someone out there willing to murder to keep the play out of Vera’s hands. Jordan’s new job is good … but is it worth her life?
why did I buy this. I obviously got this because of that title. I was probably on that Agatha Christie mood when I got this. lol.
why is it still in my tbr. I don't know. I'm just not feeling it? I also haven't been in the mood for any cozy mysteries lately.


HOW ABOUT YOU
Have you read these books? What do you think of them? Should I put them at the top of my tbr?


let's connect!

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing A Promise of Fire everywhere too, and lots of 5-star ratings too. If you are up for some fantasy, sounds like it could be a good book to take a chance on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not my usual book but I'll definitely get to it at some point :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...