September 30, 2020

[REVIEW] Worlds of Ink and Shadow

title: Worlds of Ink and Shadow
author: Lena Coakley
genre: young adult, fantasy
published: March 6th 2018 by Harry N. Abrams (first published January 5th 2016)
my copy: paperback, 352 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
rating: 4 / 5 stars
goodreads

Charlotte, Branwell, Emily, and Anne. The Brontë siblings have always been inseparable. After all, nothing can bond four siblings quite like life in an isolated parsonage out on the moors. Their vivid imaginations lend them escape from their strict upbringing, transporting them into the glittering, high society world of Verdopolis, literally. The children realize that crossing over comes at a steep price, but when they try to stop, their creations haunt them. They vow to travel to Verdopolis one more time to destroy it—and risk being trapped there forever. Gorgeously written and meticulously researched, Worlds of Ink and Shadow brings to life the upbringing of one of history’s most celebrated literary families.
recommended if you like the Brontës.

I cannot believe I was scared to read this because I blindly love the Brontë siblings (this also convinced me to really read their books soon!! Because I've only ever read Emily's works).

Worlds of Ink and Shadow follows the Brontë siblings, Charlotte, Branwell, Emily, and Anne as they go deeper into the world of Verdopolis, a fictional world Charlotte and Branwell created. They not only writes this world, they also crossover to it meaning, they actually go into the world to create it (which in my opinion is a really great concept!). 

It took me a couple of chapters in to really get into the novel but I do think it started off quite strong as it introduced Charlotte as a strong young woman who's in love with writing and Branwell as a young man who feels that he's being overshadowed by his sister's talents. The setting really played a good role shaping the four siblings. I fell in love with all of them and somehow for Charlotte's and Emily's case, I can somehow feel the vibes of their books, Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights respectively, in the characters as well as how they interact in the world of Verdopolis.

The more I read this, the more I get into the world of Verdopolis and how interesting the story is. When I said they crossover to the world they created, I meant they literally go there and interact with their characters. Everything is going so well until one of their characters had a feeling that there's a higher being that's controlling him. When he said that, you know something's about to happen. It's intriguing to read. I was really thinking: (1) what's going to happen, (2) what Charlotte and Branwell will do, (3) how far will Emily take things, and (4) what is Anne's role in all of this.

OVERALL, Worlds of Ink and Shadow is a really good and quick read. The fantasy aspect is good. I enjoyed the world building, the story behind their ability to go into the world they created. You'll enjoy this if you like the Brontë siblings or if you're interested about classic author's lives in general because I believe apart from the fantasy aspect, parts of these are somewhat factual.

let's connect!

1 comment:

  1. I’d not heard of this book but it certainly sounds good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...