May 16, 2020

[REVIEW] Mission 27

title: Mission 27: A New Boss, A New Ballpark, and One Last Ring for the Yankees' Core Four
author: Mark Feinsand; Bryan Hoch
genre: non-fiction, sports
published: June 4, 2019 by Triumph Books
my copy: Kindle edition, 256 pages
purchase: Amazon
rating: 4 / 5 stars
goodreads
With a mix of homegrown talent and All-Star signings, the 2009 Yankees were comprised of the best. With the previous season's failed playoff bid still as fresh as the paint job on the new Yankee Stadium, a 27th championship flag represented both the floor and the ceiling in the eyes of a squad. It was the last title for the "Core Four"—Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, and Andy Pettitte—who would each retire over the course of the next five years. It would be the lone title for Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, A.J. Burnett, and Nick Swisher, each of whom saw memorable peaks and valleys during their time in the Bronx. For CC Sabathia and Brett Gardner, it was their first championship, though the veterans were still in pinstripes as the latest generation of Yankees arrived for what they hope will be the next dynasty. Mission 27 is a thoroughly reported examination of an unforgettable season, packed with interviews with the full cast of key players, team executives, broadcasters, and more.
a great recap of the 2009 Yankees.

I feel that I became a Yankee fan at a perfect time. Disappointing that the Core Four is gone but glad that the Baby Bombers are up. 2019 was a wild and amazing year. And reading this really pumped me up for a World Series caliber season (but I have a bad feeling that the season is cancelled).

"As long as you have a bat in your hands, you can change the story." -p32

Mission 27 tells the story of the 2009 New York Yankees way beyond than what you see in games and post-game interviews. It features exclusive interviews with players and staff giving light to further exploration of the players personalities. It begins with the opening of the New Yankees Stadium to the building of the 2009 team to the entire season and post-season which includes the specific games what went on between them, between the player's minds, and ends with what happened to the players after the season and going further to look at what's up ahead.

Being a new fan, I only know vague things about the 2009 team and the Core Four. And despite that, this book was still such a good read. I was able to know more about the players especially how some of the new players such as CC Sabathia, AJ Burnett, Nick Swisher, and Mark Teixeira integrated themselves into the team. It features a lot of existing moments which I know I'll appreciate more if I've seen them or have known about them. So maybe that's generally my only gripe for this, I didn't know them then.

"When you're winning so many like that, you think you're going to be there every time," Rivera said. "When you don't go for a few years, you figure out how hard it is. When you get there again, you appreciate it even more. -p255

OVERALL, Mission 27 is a great read for a new fan and perhaps an even better read for a longtime fan. Reading this really made me hopeful for the new set of Yankees, the Baby Bombers.

let's connect!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy this despite not following the team during the period that is the focus of the book. I do enjoy sports but have to admit that I am usually cheering on my St. Louis Cardinals instead of the Yankees. It will be interesting to see if we get to see any games played this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite young when the Core Four was a thing so I still get interested with what they've done for the Yankees. I've seen a bit of the Cardinals :) I really want games to be played but I also want everyone to be safe.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...