November 6, 2020

SEPTEMBER - OCTOBER WRAPUP (aka the month of going back to work)


Hi,

I mentioned early in October that I went back to work. I think I got the hang of it although I still wake up a bit late and start actual work late in the morning. That's just how things when you also sleep at 2-3AM almost everyday 😅

September was a terrible reading month for me but I was able to bounce back in October. The Bromance Book Club then following it up with The Brave New World gave me a massive book hangover to slump but The Couple Next Door brought me out of that slump then things just fell into place which is all good.

This month, Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon also happened and I participated on that. I took a reading vlog and my lazy self just can't be bothered to edit that video. lmao. I also buddy read The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle with my book best friend. I enjoyed it (rtc) and we still haven't done our final book discussion because he got a bit sick these past couple of days and it's not good. 

* I don't know why I included Where'd You Go Bernadette in the photo. That's for November wrap up since I technically finished it in November 😅 and I also failed to add Brave New World which is the only physical book I read in September.

books read


Brave New World by Aldous Huxley | Sorry I Missed You by Suzy Krause | The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena | Nine Elms (Kate Marshall #1) by Robert Bryndza | Unwind (Unwind Dystology #1) by Neal Shusterman | The Secret Language of Sisters by Luanne Rice | Number the Stars by Lois Lowry | The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
quick thoughts right here with their respective Popsugar prompts👇
Brave New World (banned book) - I probably need to reread this because I read it at the wrong time? But I somehow didn't enjoy it as much as I expected to.
Sorry I Missed You (bird on cover) - It took me a while to finish this book but I really enjoyed it. It's a light novel about finding closure, confronting your past, and moving on. Recommended if you want something quick, good, and light. Check out my review!
The Couple Next Door - Got me out of that horrible slump. Check out my review. I enjoyed reading this. One of those unputdownable books! It's probably one of those books you'll easily see the twist and you're in it to see how it ends!
Nine Elms - This is your typical crime fiction. I enjoyed it. Thrilling at times. Kate Marshall is a detective I'm definitely gonna keep on reading. Although I have other ideas for that ending but all is good. Check out my review.
Unwind (author has written more than 20 books) - Reread for the nth time. I don't know now tbh. But I still loved this despite the numerous times of reread. I know everything that's going to happen since everything is still quite clear to me. I love the thought provoking moments and how well-written the world and the characters are.
The Secret Language of Sisters - I picked this up because it involves sister relationship and that's easily my thing. It's a nice read although it had its frustrating moments. I did understand them at the end but still hard to take it away from my head.
Number the Stars - This is a short and quick middlegrade WWII historical fiction. It took me a while to finally read this but when I finally did I just really want to read it continuously. It's a good book about a child's innocence and bravery in such a difficult time.
The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle (with a map) - I enjoyed reading this. I may have mixed feelings for that ending, reveal, and overall concept of the mystery but I still have to admit that I enjoyed reading this whodunit and I enjoyed solving it in general. I tabbed my book way too much and wrote on the sides for notes just because I want to. 

book haul


Too May Crooks Spoil the Plot (Ditie Brown Mystery #1) by Sarah Osborne | Crisis in the Red Zone by Richard Preston | In Cold Blood by Truman Capote | The Gilded King (Soereign #1) by Josie Jaffrey | The Weight on Skin (Red #2) by Beena Khan | Double Indemnity by James M. Cain | The Plague by Albert Camus | The Deep by Nick Cutter | Shadow Sands (Kate Marshall #2) by Robert Bryndza | Pretty Little Wife by Darby Kane

Five (5) of these I bought on Kindle Deals because they are books I've been interested in or have been recommended by people I follow. Three (3) of these were free on Kindle (The Weight on Skin though is lowkey a different case since I got a copy from the author then I downloaded it when it became available for free for a day I think). The last 2 are eGalleys. I've been on an somewhat buying spree on Amazon Kindle just because I've been wanting to grab books and also Kindle Deals. The ones I bought are on sale for $1.99 each. I'll probably visit the bookstore before the year ends (my best friend and I have talked about going out to the bookstore by December).


HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS,
How was the last couple of months for you guys? Anything you want to share? New hobby, projects, travel, books? How was your reading month? Anything new to your faves?

let's connect!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah for books that got your out of your slump. A slump is never a good thing. I think I read the Lowry book when I was much, much younger. It's a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I feel you with the trying to get back into a routine! The world would just be better if we could choose a schedule that fits our needs! Hope your friend feels better soon, too. I agree about Unwind, I love that series so much, and really anything that Shusterman writes. Hope you have a wonderful November!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...