October 30, 2020

[REVIEW] Unwind

title:
 Unwind (Unwind Dystology #1)
author: Neal Shusterman
genre: young adult, science fiction, dystopia
published: June 2nd 2009 by Simon & Schuster BfYR (first published November 6th 2007)
my copy: paperback, 335 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
rating: 5 / 5 stars
goodreads
Connor, Risa, and Lev are running for their lives. 
The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.
loved it then. still love it now.

This is a reread. (w o w. I've been rereading so much this year it's w i l d).

Admittedly, I've reread this waaaay to much already that I know everything that happens. Okay, I probably forgot that one chapter but then I also don't like it and I don't care about it. soooo whatever.

I first read Unwind because of how intriguing the plot is.

It was my first dive to scifi dystopian novels and I've never heard of Neal Shusterman then. Also at that time, I was like 16 or 17 and was so into those Gossip Girls and The Clique novels. lmao. SO NOT ME RIGHT NOW! But yes, it was a big jump (and now I don't know why I'm rambling like this)

Unwind follows the Connor, Risa, and Lev as they try to survive from being unwound. Basically in this world, young adults of ages 13 to 17 may be "aborted" due to the new law implemented due to the "Heartland War." Being unwind means having each of your body parts preserve individually for transplant. I don't know if I'm making sense here but it can also mean breaking down / taking each of the teenager's body parts while keeping them "alive" due to advance technologies.

I hope that made sense because I really love that premise.

The concept of unwinding, in my opinion, is horrifying (not that my parents will ever have me unwind because I'm sure that they won't. lmao). If you think about it, it may have its ups and downs depending on which side of the coin you're in. However, the idea of undoing a young adult is still extremely wrong as a whole. And all the things you'll probably think about this concept is discussed in the book. By discussed, I mean the characters went there, talked about it, and really, really made me think about it: if unwind is good/bad, if you're actually alive if you're unwound. There are obvious answers but this book will put different opinions into your mind depending on the background of the character which is quite interesting.

I absolutely LOVE all the characters. I think they were all done well. I think that Unwind is more of a character driven novel. There were characters I got frustrated at times, aka Lev, but at the end of this book, I really appreciated him. And somehow, perhaps he has the most growth or change of perspective given his background of being raised a tithe. Connor, on the other hand, is probably the "typical" type of kid to be send for unwinding. He has a bit of anger management problems. He bursts out at times when he sees someone doing something that he believes is wrong. Finally Risa, a child from an orphanage who was sent to be unwound due to the facilities excessive number of children.

OVERALL, Unwind is a thought provoking dystopian novel that really pushed me to read more on this genre. It's got characters that you'll love to follow, well developed world (and it gets more complex but still very well written as the series go), and well constructed story that really gives a closure to all characters involved. This is one of those books that I easily recommend to most readers I meet 😊

let's connect!

6 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this for so long! I've never read anything by this author that I didn't enjoy and this sounds really good. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to it at some point! It's the same for me! Never read anything by Neal Shusterman that I didn't like. I really hope to read all his book!

      Delete
  2. I've heard so many good things about this! A blogger even sent it to me a couple years ago lol but I STILL haven't read it. I need to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have been rereading a lot more and really enjoying everything you're rereading too! I remember when this one released and being so intrigued by it! I have tried his Scythe series but it wasn't one for me, maybe I should go and try this one instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I liked this more than Scythe. It's still my fave book of his despite the number of his works that I've read already. Although it does have some of the same tropes (?) as Scythe and somewhat the same flow/pace. But as a whole, I think this is better.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...