December 10, 2020

BOOKS FROM THE BACKLOG #16


Hi,

Books from the Backlog is a weekly feature hosted by Carole @ Carole's Random Life in Books.

title:
 Mosquitoland
author: David Arnold
genre: young adult, contemporary
published: March 3rd 2015 by Viking Books for Young Readers
my copy: hardcover, 352 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
I am a collection of oddities, a circus of neurons and electrons: my heart is the ringmaster, my soul is the trapeze artist, and the world is my audience. It sounds strange because it is, and it is, because I am strange.
After the sudden collapse of her family, Mim Malone is dragged from her home in northern Ohio to the "wastelands" of Mississippi, where she lives in a medicated milieu with her dad and new stepmom. Before the dust has a chance to settle, she learns her mother is sick back in Cleveland.
So she ditches her new life and hops aboard a northbound Greyhound bus to her real home and her real mother, meeting a quirky cast of fellow travelers along the way. But when her thousand-mile journey takes a few turns she could never see coming, Mim must confront her own demons, redefining her notions of love, loyalty, and what it means to be sane.
Told in an unforgettable, kaleidoscopic voice, Mosquitoland is a modern American odyssey, as hilarious as it is heartbreaking.  
why did I get this. Probably because I see it quite a lot then. This probably also came out when mental illness books were a thing.  
why is it still in my tbr. I never got in the mood to actually pick it up. I tried it then but  didn't enjoy it. I'd like to believe it's a mood thing but the more I let this sit on my shelf, the more I lose interest in it. Thus the more I just want to skip this BUT I'd still like to give this one last try.


HOW ABOUT YOU
Have you read these books? What do you think of them? Should I put them at the top of my tbr?

let's connect!

7 comments:

  1. I have to say, I adored this book. I am such a big fan of Arnold's writing, and I remember loving the writing and loving Mim. I hope you read it one of these days. Have you read any of Arnold's other books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow this sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about initially being interested in a book and then the interest fades and I either leave it languishing or eventually give it away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy your rediscovered treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember being interested in this one when it first came out, but for some reason I didn't add it to my list to try. Hopefully you will like it more the second try if you do decide to pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is on my tbr list as well. I really enjoyed another one of his books and definitely want to read more of his work. I hope you enjoy this one, Czai!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one used to be on my TBR too! Maybe we'll both get around to reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...