December 22, 2020

[REVIEW] The Weight on Skin

title:
 The Weight on Skin (Red #2)
author: Beena Khan
genre: adult, contemporary
published: July 15th 2020 by Beena Khan
my copy: kindle, 320 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N
rating: 3 / 5 stars
goodreads
The good boy has gone rogue.
The Duet Novel to The Name of Red. 
Kabir's story continues in this dark, twisty, and steamy sequel. 
There’s only so many times a heart can break.
One day, it will be okay, but it'll heal all wrong.
It’ll heal with you outside of it. 
Eight months gone, and Kabir still hasn’t moved from the woman he still loves. 
Red.  
The name like a song on replay in his mind. He looks for her in other women but is left empty every time he wakes up in the morning. Gone is the good boy image he once had, instead it's replaced with a reckless playboy. He has the list of “Things To do” that Red left for him and placed it on his refrigerator, but he doesn’t know how to complete the tasks.  
Because some secrets are too big to bury. 
Ghosts from his past come forward forcing him to confront himself and his lifestyle. His best friend Nadia left him and cut off all contact, but now she returns in his life. He has to face these ghosts without losing himself completely. 
The sequel can be read without reading the first book. A story of healing, love, and pure chemistry that will make you add Kabir to your list of book boyfriends.
I liked the first book. but this one, not as much.

I read the first book in this series in August and I find Red and Kabir's love story to be absolutely beautiful. They have their flaws, I was frustrated at times, then ultimately loving both of them at the end. And also, how can you not enjoy a romance between two book readers? Their first interactions were really adorable!! (See my review here!!). 

So when the author messaged me asking if I want to read the second book, it was a no brainer for me. Give it to me, please! Give me more of Kabir and more of that bookish nerdiness! But then... yeah... let's talk about this.

The Weight on Skin follows Kabir months following the events of the first novel. After doing reckless things for not being able to move on from Red, Kabir later on finds the courage to go through the list of things to do, Red left him. These are, clearly, not easy. He has to go back to the things he buried and face them again for him to get back on track on his goal. The goal he set before his life went all over the place.

In general, I liked this. I like the point of this, Kabir's development, and how it ultimately ended for him. The in-betweens are the so-so parts for me and I think that it was generally a me thing. I did not like Wafa, Kabir's ex-girlfriend. The parts of the book that involved her made me mad with passion. I was mad at her and Kabir. I don't like her forcing Kabir on things. It feels so wrong. But as the story moves to one thing to another, I ended up feeling better and liking the progression. I also have to say that I like the way the some parts of the story is written -- the back and forth between the past and the present.

Similar to the first book, I took note of all the books mentioned and who knows, maybe I get through them at some point.

OVERALL, The Weight on Skin delivered quite an emotionally intense novel. It didn't made me cry but mostly it made me angry for what Kabir went through and ultimately I love how he found his way back. While it feels off from the first book, it's an okay read if you like the first one.

*I received this book for review from the author THEN downlaoded my copy from Kindle when it was available for a day.

let's connect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...