August 27, 2020

BOOKS FROM THE BACKLOG #9

Hi,

Books from the Backlog is a weekly feature hosted by Carole @ Carole's Random Life in Books.


title:
 A Madness So Discreet
author: Mindy McGinnis
genre: young adult, historical fiction, mystery, thriller
published: October 6th 2015 by Katherine Tegen Books
my copy: hardcover, 376 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
Grace Mae knows madness.

She keeps it locked away, along with her voice, trapped deep inside a brilliant mind that cannot forget horrific family secrets. Those secrets, along with the bulge in her belly, land her in a Boston insane asylum. 
When her voice returns in a burst of violence, Grace is banished to the dark cellars, where her mind is discovered by a visiting doctor who dabbles in the new study of criminal psychology. With her keen eyes and sharp memory, Grace will make the perfect assistant at crime scenes. Escaping from Boston to the safety of an ethical Ohio asylum, Grace finds friendship and hope, hints of a life she should have had. But gruesome nights bring Grace and the doctor into the circle of a killer who stalks young women. Grace, continuing to operate under the cloak of madness, must hunt a murderer while she confronts the demons in her own past. 
In this beautifully twisted historical thriller, Mindy McGinnis, acclaimed author of Not a Drop to Drink and In a Handful of Dust, explores the fine line between sanity and insanity, good and evil—and the madness that exists in all of us.
why did I buy this. because I've been hoping to try out a Mindy McGinnis book and it's historical fiction which is kind of my thing. So, why not? Also, that cover is beautiful! 😍
why is it still in my tbr. idk. Whenever I consider this, I also think that I probably need to be on the right mindset when I read it. 



title:
 Ascenders (Ascenders #1)
author: C.L. Gaber
genre: young adult, paranormal
published: April 20th 2015 by Big Picture Media
my copy: Kindle, 430 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
goodreads
THE ASCENDERS Takes You To the In-between Where Teens Who Died Young Go On the Epic Adventure of an After-Lifetime.
Walker Callaghan doesn't know what happened to her. One minute she was living her teenage life in suburban Chicago...and the next minute, she was in a strange place and in a brand new school with absolutely no homework, no rules, and no consequences.
Walker Callaghan, 16, is dead.
She doesn't go to Heaven or Hell. She lands at The Academy, a middle realm where teenagers have one thing in common: They were that morning announcement at their high schools because they died young.
These high school kids are now caught in a strange “in-between” zone where life hasn’t changed very much. In fact, this special teen limbo looks a lot like life in a quaint Michigan town complete with jocks, popular girls and cliques. "There are even cheerleaders in death," Walker observes. It's not a coincidence that the music teacher is a guy named Kurt who "used to have this band." The drama teacher, Heath, is crush worthy because back in his life, he starred in some superhero movie as the Joker.
Principal King explains the rules -- there are none. Why? You can't die twice.
There is no homework.
No tests.
No SATS.
You're just there to learn because the human brain isn't fully formed until you're 24.
By the way, you can't get hurt physically, so race your Harley off that hillside. But falling in love is the most dangerous thing you can do ...because no one knows how long you'll stay in this realm or what's next. Walker falls hard for tat-covered, bad boy Daniel Reid who is about to break the only sacred rule of this place. He's looking for a portal to return back to the living realm.
Ascenders....An epic adventure of an after-life time.
why did I buy this. It's one of those books I got from some random giveaway I joined in. To be honest, I don't even know what this is about.
why is it still in my tbr. Never really found myself interested to try it out. Also it's on my Kindle and I kind of have a few choices there that I kind of want to read than this one. So I don't know when I'll get to it. (maybe I should make a tbr jar for my Kindle as well 😅)


HOW ABOUT YOU
Have you read these books? What do you think of them? Should I put them at the top of my tbr?

let's connect!

10 comments:

  1. I think a TBR jar for all the books is a GREAT idea! Maybe I'll join you.

    The first one does seem like a good read, try it out and give us a shout-out!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a TBR jar for my physical books and I sometimes take books from that when I have no idea what to read :) I'll try to get to it at some point soon. hopefully.

      Delete
  2. i haven't read the books, so i can't help you, but i do like the idea of a tbr jar
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a TBR jar for my physical reads. Will highly consider doing one for my ebooks.

      Delete
  3. Everyone who reads McGinnis' books seems to love them. I know she is too dark for me, but my daughter has enjoyed her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aah yess, her books seems too dark. Looking at all of her books, the lightest one is probably The Female of the Species. Haven't read that though but despite looking light, I think it also tackles rape culture or something about feminism.

      Delete
  4. A Madness So Discreet looks really compelling. Hope your mood changes and you can get to it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really hoping so as well!! Thank you, Sophia! :)

      Delete
  5. Mindy McGinnis is one of my favorites and A Madness So Discreet is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...