August 24, 2020

[REVEW] Evernight

title: Evernight (Evernight #1)
author: Claudia Gray
genre: young adult, paranormal
published: February 10th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published May 27th 2008)
my copy: paperback, 327 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
rating: 2 / 5 stars
goodreads

Bianca wants to escape.
At the eerily Gothic Evernight Academy, the other students are sleek, smart, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in. 
When she meets handsome, brooding Lucas he warns her to be careful--even when it comes to caring about him. But the connection between them can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart...and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.
that was bad.

This is a reread.

This book was gifted to me when I was 18-yrs old by a close friend (who I don't talk to anymore because distance and the lack of common interest does that). I read it then just for the heck of it and I reread it now just for the heck of it. But generally I just wanted to finish this series just to get it over with.

Evernight follows Bianca who starts high school in a Gothic-looking Academy that gives her the feeling that she doesn't belong there. She meets Lucas, a boy who sort of tried to save her because he thought she was running away from something. Since the incident, Bianca referred to Lucas as her 'protector' which was major cringe for me since they only met that one time and she's now acting like they're meant to be.

I don't think this is a spoiler but the book did try to keep the fact that Bianca is a born vampire for a while which is interesting but also kinda weird since the book is told in her point of view. It's not exactly mention until the reveal was done around 25% in and she acts as if she's been talking about it all along (you can't deceive me, Bianca. You can't!). This would have worked if Lucas has a POV as well but he doesn't so I don't see the point. 

Everything about this is predictable and I kind of cringed throughout the romance aspect of the novel (which is a lot!) from Bianca calling Lucas her 'protector' after their first meeting to (ohgosh) the things Bianca decides on doing. It just kind of screams WRONG through and through! Heck disappointingly, I don't even like Lucas as well both as a character and as a love interest. He's bland and there really isn't much development between the two of them. It really just felt more like love at first sight and it wasn't even done well (imo). 

Moreover, the narration is too bland. I never got into Bianca's narration and really just fine it very cringe-y. I had too many side notes while reading and it's basically about saying how cringe-y this is. 

Looking at the good sides, I think that the pacing is okay. It was a little slow in the beginning then it gets off real quick and good in between. All foreshadowing allow you to actually have a clear view on what's going to happen. So I think it's also somewhat of a good thing although there isn't really much of a mind-blown or didn't-see-that-coming factor.

OVERALL, Evernight is an okay read if you want something quick and something you're very familiar with. The romance isn't very good. The characters are okay although I wasn't much of a fan of the main character and her love interest.

tl;dr I don't recommend it (but expect review of the rest of the series because why not? lol.

let's connect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...