June 3, 2020

[REVIEW] Be Not Far from Me

title: Be Not Far from Me
author: Mindy McGinnis
narrator: Brittany Pressley
genre: young adult, contemporary
published: March 3rd 2020 by HarperAudio
my copy: audiobook, 7 hrs  48 mins
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
rating: 4.5 / 5 stars
goodreads
The world is not tame. 
Ashley knows this truth deep in her bones, more at home with trees overhead than a roof. So when she goes hiking in the Smokies with her friends for a night of partying, the falling dark and creaking trees are second nature to her. But people are not tame either. And when Ashley catches her boyfriend with another girl, drunken rage sends her running into the night, stopped only by a nasty fall into a ravine. Morning brings the realization that she's alone - and far off trail. Lost in undisturbed forest and with nothing but the clothes on her back, Ashley must figure out how to survive despite the red streak of infection creeping up her leg.
The world is not tame.

I've been meaning to read a Mindy McGinnis book (because I've been reading good things about her books)!! So when I got a chance to read it during the Scribd Free Reads period, I just had to try one!!

“Living things will fight to stay that way.”

Be Not Far From Me follows Ashley Hawkins who went camping with her friends. In the evening, she went out and found her boyfriend with another girl. She was overcome by anger and ran. She ran until she fall (or slides down?) from a ravine. She falls and may have even broken a leg. From there, she must find a way to stay alive until help comes. OR actually go out of the woods look for help. Alone.

This book is heavy. It's survival. It's not an end of the world / apocalyptic / dystopian survival. It's an actual life survival. Ashley has stellar outdoor knowledge and she knows how to take care of herself She may be a bit stubborn at times but I LOVE how strong she was. I felt so, so sorry for her many times but she's just out there trying to keep herself alive.

“Be not far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help.”

The narrator, Brittany Pressley, did an amazing job in making this more emotional than its words (did that even made sense? lol). At first, I thought she felt a bit monotonous of flat tuned. But as the story progress and we get through more of Ashley's survival and struggle thoughts, I felt so much for Ashley because of how the Pressley's voice cracks and breaks at certain points. just. more. emotion. right. there.

I honestly thought that the story will move into the cliché path and some guy will pop up and save the day for Ashley. but that wasn't the case here. Throughout the book, it was only Ashley. There were times where she'd look back at some memories pointing out things that give her strength or helped her to be who she is right now.
“If you’re quiet in the woods long enough, you’ll hear something die.” 

OVERALL, Be Not Far From Me is a story of survival. It's about finding the strength to live on physically, mentally, and emotionally. I am IN LOVE with this book. The journey was heartbreaking. The last two chapters made me cry so freaking hard.

let's connect!

4 comments:

  1. I have always heard great things about McGinnis' books. I just know they are too dark for me. Sounds like it was a great survival story, and the outdoor skills sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me quite a while to finally get around one of her books. I have another one of her books so I might end up trying that one as well :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this author yet either but have been meaning to. This sounds pretty intense and is probably better on audio.

    Karen @ For What' It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first one from her. The audiobook is soooo good. Got a lot of feels from the narrator.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...