June 29, 2020

10 Books I loved in the First Half of 2020


Hi,

I love seeing everyone's Mid-Year Freak Out posts. And I debated whether I'll do that as well or a book list. I ended up going with the book list option just because I love listing books. Don't we all? lol.

I have this list arranged according to when I read them. This was actually easier than I expected. I usually struggle picking out books I really love but this year felt a bit easy probably because my mind isn't as stress as before (give that to the quarantine-filled year).


The Mist | Stephen King
I think that the story was quite basic. It was intriguing enough for me to keep on reading. It was easy to get into and, for me, its strongest aspect is the psychological aspect. The ending was what I expected it to be and somehow I'm okay about it (but w h o a, I always just look back to that movie ending).
This book is too good. I LOVED it. I's so well written and when I read this, I felt very invested in the characters' lives. I like how it's told in a non-linear way and things just slowly gets told. The family dynamic is g o l d. You can see why everyone is like how they are. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. (review to come for sure, I have it drafted already, written when I finished it).
Dark Matter | Blake Crouch
This book is mind blowing. Really just an amazingly thrilling scifi novel. It was easy to get into and I get really invested in everything that's happening and the parallel universe aspect of the novel. 
Be Not Far From Me | Mindy McGinnis
This was a random read for me and I ended up really being so into it. This is such an emotionally and psychologically driven novel. A lot of times I was really moved by Ashley's struggle and how she just looks back at what her life was before the accident.
The Huntress | Kate Quinn
I had highs and lows while reading this one but as a whole, I think it was really, really good. There were certain points that kind of bored me but mostly I was intrigued at how things will go. The characters were all soooo good and I was really invested in them especially Ian and Jordan. The ending was also really, really good.


The Silent Patient | Alex Michaelides
I've read mixed things about this book but I was still really intrigued by it. I've read reviews that they were disappointed by this. I read it and really liked it. I would have to admit that I did not expect that twist. I really put that to that really good thriller writing. I was heavily invested in the mystery at hand that I actually didn't overthink this time around. hahaha.
After Dark | Haruki Murakami
This is such a short and really interesting novel. I didn't know what to expect when I started it but I easily got into it. There were a few things going on in here and it's an interesting look at how people really have different perspective on things and how something may affect the life of a person. I somewhat related to Mari as a character which really made this book stick to me even more.
The Radium Girls | Kate Moore
This is one of those books that I think everyone should read. It seems like an important part of history to take note of. It may be a bit hard for some as there are descriptions of the things they are going through which was caused by radium. There were also a bit of seemingly repetitive parts and somewhat a few ladies to follows throughout the book. But it's all so worth knowing!
This is one of those books that I ended up feeling that it's sooo good but not exactly the type of book I'll gush around everywhere. I really like the idea of this that involves a group of actors and one of them died. It wasn't much of a mystery to me. I think it's more of why you think they did what they did and how it actually affected them throughout the novel.
I liked it. I liked Eve and Ben. The story kind if gave me a bit of One Night in December vibes with the on-again-off-again thing and it was good. Although I wasn't exactly feeling their chemistry in the beginning.But the more I read, the more it kind of works out together with the exploration of their characters.


HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS,
Have you read any of these books? What do you think of them? What are you fave reads so far?

let's connect!

10 comments:

  1. I thought I would have read one of these, but alas, I have not. I do have some of them. I am glad to see This Love Story Will Self Destruct, because I that is on my TBR, and you made it sound like something I would enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see your thoughts whenever you decide to read This Love Story will Self-Destruct :)

      Delete
  2. I want to get to the freak out tag soon. I've read some good books this year!

    I haven't read any of these yet though.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the freak out tag really looks fun, to be honest. sounds like you're having a good reading year so far, Karen :)

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea for a mid-year post---I've been thinking of doing one myself. I haven't read any of these, but I've been interested in The Radium Girls for a long time.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Radium Girls is such an important read for me. It's definitely something I have zero knowledge about and I'm so glad I read it.

      Delete
  4. The only book I've read on your list is Silent Patient. I also liked it - I think with these big twist books you just need to go with them and not overthink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of like the twists although I did consider it probably midway but I still think it was kind of well done. Although I did see some people not liking it (I never fully read those reviews though because I don't want it to ruin my enjoyment of the book).

      Delete
  5. I LOVED Dark Matter. That book was sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS! It's one of those I can't believe I never read it the moment I got it. Really want to read more of Blake Crouch's books.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...