June 25, 2020

BOOKS FROM THE BACKLOG #7



Hi,

Books from the Backlog is a weekly feature hosted by Carole @ Carole's Random Life in Books. I'm doing double features every other week: one physical book and one ebook.

title:
 The Kind Worth Killing
author: Peter Swanson
genre: mystery, thriller
published: September 3rd 2015 by Faber & Faber
format: trade paperback, 411 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
'Hello there.'
I looked at the pale, freckled hand on the back of the empty bar seat next to me in the business class lounge of Heathrow airport, then up into the stranger's face.
'Do I know you?' 
Delayed in London, Ted Severson meets a woman at the airport bar. Over cocktails they tell each other rather more than they should, and a dark plan is hatched - but are either of them being serious, could they actually go through with it and, if they did, what would be their chances of getting away with it? 
Back in Boston, Ted's wife Miranda is busy site managing the construction of their dream home, a beautiful house out on the Maine coastline. But what secrets is she carrying and to what lengths might she go to protect the vision she has of her deserved future? 
A sublimely plotted novel of trust and betrayal, The Kind Worth Killing will keep you gripped and guessing late into the night.  
why did I get this. it's thriller I see around a lot. I also see Peter Swanson's name quite a lot. I've been eyeing his latest book, to be honest. I heard somewhere that this is still his best one. 
why is it still in my tbr.
 I don't know. Probably just because I don't want to read thrillers one after another. I don't like them blending together.


title:
 Six Four (Prefecture D #4)
author: Hideo Yokoyama, Jonathan Lloyd-Davies (Translation)
genre: crime fiction
published: February 7th 2017 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux
format: eGalley (of hardcover), 576 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
goodreads
Six Four. The nightmare no parent could endure. The case no detective could solve. The twist no listener could predict.
For five days in January 1989, the parents of a seven-year-old Tokyo schoolgirl sat and listened to the demands of their daughter's kidnapper. They would never learn his identity. They would never see their daughter again.
For the 14 years that followed, the Japanese public listened to the police's apologies. They would never forget the botched investigation that became known as Six Four. They would never forgive the authorities their failure. For one week in late 2002, the press officer attached to the police department in question confronted an anomaly in the case.
He could never imagine what he would uncover. He would never have looked if he'd known what he would find.
why did I get this. I don't know. Probably because it's Japanese and it's a crime fiction. I like both. So why not, yeah? 
why is it still in my tbr. I probably forgot about this, to be honest. Should probably line this up on my ebook tbr.


HOW ABOUT YOU
Have you read these books? What do you think of them? Should I put them at the top of my tbr?

let's connect!

4 comments:

  1. I read very few thriller, and I don't think I have read any crime books, so these are new to me, but the second one sounds quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crime fictions are so interesting because of the investigations and all the how's and why's of things. But mystery/thrillers are kind of easier to get into, in my opinion :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read these but they sound interesting. The last 2 thrillers I read were The Hunting Party and The Guest List by Lucy Foley. Absolutely loved the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been seeing The Guest List a lot recently. I've been watching out for that one and might try it at some point :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...