October 22, 2020

BOOKS FROM THE BACKLOG #14


Hi,

Books from the Backlog is a weekly feature hosted by Carole @ Carole's Random Life in Books.

title:
 The Weight of Zero
author: Karen Fortunati
genre: young adult, contemporary
published: October 11th 2016 by Delacorte Press
my copy: hardcover, 400 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
Seventeen-year-old Catherine Pulaski knows Zero is coming for her. Zero, the devastating depression born of Catherine’s bipolar disorder, almost triumphed once; that was her first suicide attempt. 
Being bipolar is forever. It never goes away. The med du jour might work right now, but Zero will be back for her. It’s only a matter of time. 
And so, in an old ballet-shoe box, Catherine stockpiles medications, preparing to take her own life before Zero can inflict its living death on her again. Before she goes, though, she starts a short bucket list. 
The bucket list, the support of her family, new friends, and a new course of treatment all begin to lessen Catherine’s sense of isolation. The problem is, her plan is already in place, and has been for so long that she might not be able to see a future beyond it. 
This is a story of loss and grief and hope, and how some of the many shapes of love—maternal, romantic, and platonic—affect a young woman’s struggle with mental illness and the stigma of treatment.
why did I get this. I got this because this was the time when I was interested to read books about mental health (and it was a thing then, I believe?). Also, I don't know why but I kind of thought it was about eating disorder which apparently it isn't (I just read the synopsis right now. although I'd like to read something about eating disorder so recs would be nice). 
why is it still in my tbr. I don't know. It's kind of just one of those books I was so hyped to get but when I did I finally get it, I just leave it sitting on my shelf.


HOW ABOUT YOU
Have you read these books? What do you think of them? Should I put them at the top of my tbr?

let's connect!

2 comments:

  1. I find books spotlighting mental illness interesting, and I am already curious as to what happens to Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was intrigued by mental illness books then but I realized later on that they're all heavy/gonna-make-me-cry reads so I ended up piling them up.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...