February 18, 2021

BOOKS FROM THE BACKLOG #22

Hi,

Books from the Backlog is a weekly feature hosted by Carole @ Carole's Random Life in Books.

title:
 The Circle
author: Dave Eggers  
genre: adult fiction, science fiction
published: May 1st 2014 by Vintage (first published October 8th 2013)
my copy: paperback, 479 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
The Circle is the exhilarating new novel from Dave Eggers, best-selling author of A Hologram for the King, a finalist for the National Book Award. 
When Mae Holland is hired to work for the Circle, the world’s most powerful internet company, she feels she’s been given the opportunity of a lifetime. The Circle, run out of a sprawling California campus, links users’ personal emails, social media, banking, and purchasing with their universal operating system, resulting in one online identity and a new age of civility and transparency. As Mae tours the open-plan office spaces, the towering glass dining facilities, the cozy dorms for those who spend nights at work, she is thrilled with the company’s modernity and activity. There are parties that last through the night, there are famous musicians playing on the lawn, there are athletic activities and clubs and brunches, and even an aquarium of rare fish retrieved from the Marianas Trench by the CEO. Mae can’t believe her luck, her great fortune to work for the most influential company in the world—even as life beyond the campus grows distant, even as a strange encounter with a colleague leaves her shaken, even as her role at the Circle becomes increasingly public. What begins as the captivating story of one woman’s ambition and idealism soon becomes a heart-racing novel of suspense, raising questions about memory, history, privacy, democracy, and the limits of human knowledge. 
why did I get this. because I see it all the time back then? also because it's scifi and there's a movie (I think?)
why is it still in my tbr. never got interested to pick this up. Maybe I should but I just checked goodreads and it doesn't have a reliable rating and my goodreads friends who have read it gave it a 3-star at most so I'm not exactly hyped about this right now.


HOW ABOUT YOU
Have you read these books? What do you think of this book? Should I put this at the top of my tbr?

let's connect!

5 comments:

  1. I have a couple of Dave Eggers' books but have yet to pick them up. This sounds interesting, though. I've always been curious about people who works at a compound -- as in the Google Campus, or the Apple one.

    You should read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't particularly care for this one, but I know a couple people that did! Regardless of the content, though--I really love the cover, haha! That orange always grabs me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had What Is the What? on my TBR shelf for years. I actually forgot about it until I saw your post. How sad is that? Perhaps one day. If you do read The Circle, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adult sci-fi is way out of my realm of reading, so I have no input. If you read it, I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not remember this book at all. I certainly do not remember a movie. I hope you enjoy it if you give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...