February 27, 2021

My 2020 Reading Breakdown and Stats

just me exaggerating the weight of my books. lmao.

Hi,

Early this year, I posted My Year in Books in 2020. That got me really excited to look through my reading stats this last year especially with how I tracked everything I'm reading with a spreadsheet.

2020 was my first year of doing reading spreadsheets. I made one for: the books I read, books I acquire, and reading challenges.

SO as I mentioned in my Year in Books post, I read 19,978 pages across 59 books. I was very happy with this because I was able to exceed my goal of 51 books. SO here I am looking at my spreadsheets just for the fun of things! I'm not doing all those pie charts and whatnot. I'm just gonna throw some numbers. lol.

let's talk genre!
I checked my genre and somehow I have a massive mix up on certain genre since they can be placed on multiple categories (?) so my head can't decided. lol. I need to fix that for this year. But generally I have: classics (3), contemporary/chicklit/contemporary romance/literary (22), mystery/thriller/horror (13), fantasy (2), historical fiction (3), nonfiction (2), comics/manga/graphic novel (4), science fiction (7), and supernatural/paranormal (4).

Most read genre: contemporary/literary fiction. [I'll probably classify books better this 2021]
Least read genre: nonfiction and fantasy. [I will try to read more nonfictions this year since my collection is starting to grow as for fantasy, idk. I'm not the biggest fan. The ones I read are YA fantasies: Sawkill Girls and Worlds of Ink and Shadow.]

book series!
This year I read 22 books from a series out of 59 books read and that is 37% of the books I read! I still enjoy reading book series but also I have this weird thing that I don't want to binge read them. I need to read something in-between them which is why it takes me quite a while to finish them. And also recently, I want book series to end before I actually dive into them.

Series finished: Divergent by Veronica Roth [not counting the short story collection. I'm not into short stories], Evernight by Claudia Gray [also not counting the spin-off book about Balthazar since it's a spin-off although goodreads calls it #5 in series, I'm still not counting it], Sons of Ares by Pierce Brown, Rik Hoskin, Eli Powell [it's a graphic novel in 2 volumes and I believe it's done]

Series Started and WILL NOT continue: An Antique Bookshop Mystery by Laura Gail Black, Red by Beena Khan [read the first two books but I had mixed feelings for the second one and I have a feeling that the rest of the books won't be for me], Sekret by Lindsay Smith, The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall [I just read book 2 and yes I'm not getting book 3 at all, probably. unless I see it and it's got a really good price, probably]

Series Started and WILL continue: Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams [I NEED BOOKS 2 AND 4!!! OMG!], Kate Marshall by Robert Bryndza, Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch, Strange Planet by Nathan W. Pyle [I'm a fan of this comic waaay before it's published and I'm so here for every book he comes out with!]


The Year of Rereads!
Literally. This is probably the most I've reread books and I'm so proud of it because rereading was never my thing. This year I reread 7 books! My favorite reread is clearly Unwind by Neal Shusterman.

Where I Got These Books!
For this section, I have four tags: New, Own, Borrow, eARC. Quite self explanatory!

New (4): 6.77% happy I got through books I recently bought but also, I didn't buy much books this year. Cross checking this with my acquired books spreadsheet with my bought books,  I've only read 8.75% of the books I bought last year. lmao. I bought 35 books last year. Kindle Deals got me so much last year!
Own (35): 59% of the books I read last year are books I acquired from years before (not counting eARC's). These are books I bought and received in 2019 or earlier. I also got through some of the oldest books in my tbr because I did a tbr challenge of reading them.
Borrow (14): decent amount, 23.7% of the books I read. 4 of these are books I read from Scribd when they had the trial during the beginning of quarantine. The remaining 10 are books I borrowed from my best friend.
eARC (6): VERY FEW. I need to fix that, tbh. But my ebook pace right now isn't very good but we'll see.

Just Formats!
Quick breakdown of the book formats. To be honest, I don't know why I had hardcover and paperback separated but whatever. haha.

Audiobook - 4 - 6.77%
Ebook - 9 - 15.25%
Hardcover - 9 - 15.25%
Paperback - 37 - 62.71%

I've been thinking of only getting paperbacks and ebooks only, to be honest. hardcover is quite expensive and it's quite heavy. Reading-wise, they're not my thing. I did look at hardcover vs paperback arguments and I'm a paperback person just because I'm being too thrifty lately and paperback is easier to read with.

let's connect!

4 comments:

  1. I have been really reluctant to start any new series other than companion type series. You mentioned Bromance and Love & Gelato, which are two I adore. But, good for you finishing some series too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very comprehensive compilation of stats! I'm definitely going to do better this year with keeping track of everything. I have no patience for spreadsheets because I do them at work, so I refuse to use it at home. LOL. Going to settle with my reading journal.

    Have a great week, Czai!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a great year of reading! I love that you are reading a lot of books from your shelves. I love hardcovers but they are definitely more pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a spreadsheet for the first time last year too. I was more interested in where I was getting my books from though. I really cut back on arc's, wanted to make a dent in my physical book pile (I didn't lol), and see if I was utilizing Kindle Unlimited enough (I wasn't) and how I used the library apps (my main source, I found).

    I haven't bothered for this year but I'm also reading so little that it's probably not worth it.

    You got so much accomplished though!!

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...