April 10, 2021

How Do You Take Your Thrillers?


Hi,

It's Mystery & Thriller Week at Goodreads and I just thought, why not post something about it because I've had this topic in my head for a week or so now. It was also last year's Mystery & Thriller Week that I decided to give myself a little mystery/thriller reading challenge (which I posted a couple of months after. lol) about reading 2020's/2019's most popular mystery/thriller books as per goodreads.

Quickly, what got me to read mystery/thrillers.
Looking through my goodreads, the first one I read was Agatha Christie's Nemesis just because I found a copy from the stack of books my mom was getting rid of. I saved it (and a few more books) and read it. It was okay, it made me get back into reading but it didn't really got me into the genre. It was when I picked up Cuckoo's Calling by Roberth Galbraith (which I didn't know then was J.K. Rowling) because of its overwhelming popularity at that time. I read it, enjoyed it, and decided to look for more of the same genre. I picked up a couple of cozy mysteries and detective crime fictions since then.

Specific sub-genres?
To be honest, I don't stick to any particular sub-genre but I realized that I gravitate towards psychological thrillers then police procedurals/detectives/crime fictions then cozy mysteries. As of right now, I really want to try more sub-genres and I hope that with the reading challenge I set last year, I can get through a lot of them.

The less you know the better.
Most people (if not all) I watch on Booktube say that they'd want to read mystery thrillers knowing as little as possible. So I ended up getting into the mentality as well. What I usually just do is skim other's thoughts, see specific keywords about a book, and how they take it (did it kept them guessing, was it extra predictable, is it extremely unputdownable, are there too much conveniences).

Aside from skimming through reviews, I usually judge books based on the cover or title (I know, shame. lmao) or watch Booktubers briefly talk about books (I usually watch Books with Emily Fox, Books and Lala, Noelle Gallagher, and Paperback Dreams). If they enjoy it, I'd go for it if they don't, I'd look for a second opinion then decided there.

I don't think I really, really read full mystery/thriller synopsis. I just don't want to know much.


HOW ABOUT YOU
How do you like getting into your mystery novels? Do you like getting an early insight  what it's about (like reading the entire synopsis) or do you also like going blindly? Which mystery sub-genres do you like most?

let's connect!
 

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely not a fan of a meandering plot. I want a straight shooter kinda read, one that tells me right off the bat what kind of crime we're dealing with and the players involved. I think that's why, regardless of his bad rep, I enjoy Dan Brown's novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really liking psychological thrillers the last few years. And I TOTALLY judge mysteries/ thrillers by the cover/ title/ whatever ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to go into mystery/thrillers as blindly as possible. I am actually that way with most books. I rarely read the entire book description and then I usually forgot what I did read by the time I settle in to read the book. I really like all of the subgenres. I have to admit that I have picked up a book because of its cover quite often.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...