April 13, 2021

[REVIEW] Hourglass

title:
 Hourglass (Evernight #3)
author: Claudia Gray
genre: young adult, paranormal
published: July 1st 2010 by HarperTeen (first published March 15th 2010)
my copy: paperback, 329 pages
purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
rating: 3 / 5 stars
goodreads

Bianca will risk everything to be with Lucas.
After escaping from Evernight, the vampire boarding school where they met, Bianca and Lucas seek refuge with Black Cross, an elite group of vampire hunters. Bianca must hide her supernatural heritage or risk certain death at its hands. But when Black Cross captures her friend--the vampire Balthazar--all her secrets threaten to come out.
Soon, Bianca and Lucas are on the run, pursued not only by Black Cross, but by the powerful vampires of Evernight. Yet no matter how far they run, Bianca can't escape her destiny. Bianca and Lucas have always believed their love could survive anything--but can it survive what's to come?
the best book in this disappointing series.

This is a reread and another overdue review. Just found this review I wrote a year back.

Hourglass follows Bianca after the events from Stargazer. Upcoming spoilers that you may or may already predict to happen when you read the synopsis (lol). After the chaos that went down at Evernight, Bianca opted to stay with Lucas and Black Cross. Clearly, this decision poses HUGE problems for Bianca: (1) how to consume blood, and (2) if faced against a vampire, will she actually kill them which I think are interesting aspect of the novel.

After reading the entire thing, I think that Hourglass is the best in the series because it's actually intriguing.  There are points where I'm genuinely curious which never happened throughout the series. I was curious of: (1) how will Bianca deal with living with Black Cross, (2) will Black Cross find out about Bianca (obviously it's not a matter of "will they" but "when"?), (3) what is the status on Charity? After all the foreshadowing and her involvement, what's next with that part of the story. What is her significance in all of this?, and (4) what is going to happen to Bianca if she doesn't let herself turn into a vampire?

At the end of it all though, I still didn't care about Bianca and Lucas which I think really hurts my enjoyment of the book because they're the main characters. What I'm thinking through it all is just, where is the growth? I don't feel it. Why are they still like that, thinking selfishly of themselves? BUT OMG, Vic and Ranulf are easily my faves. I loved them in previous books but there really wasn't much of them then. This time though, I got a good dose of them which was really most of the fun side of the book.

OVERALL, Hourglass is the best book in the series. There's still a final book which I'll post soon. I don't think it gave much development on Bianca and Lucas but it did moved the story significantly well and it had more excitement than the previous books.  

tl;dr I don't recommend it (but expect review of the final book because why not? lol.)

let's connect!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness I remember reading this series when I was younger and LOVING it. I was still on my twilight high and reading any vampire romance books I could. But looking back I doubt I will ever pick them up again and I'm sure I would dislike them ;.; I never got to the final book though because it wasn't out at the time and I'd moved on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...